More Merseyside Madness.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: More Merseyside Madness.

#11 Post by Les »

It's a well known fact that all legal gun owners on Merseyside have a Scorpion in their collection, capable of discharging 850 rounds/min. 8-) kukkuk kukkuk
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#12 Post by FredB »

From 1982 to1985, I organised an annual pistol competition at the Altcar ranges. We aimed to have around 80 competitors and we always got them. The Merseyside Police team always won. Usually the first 4 to 6 places. These guys were great shooters, always willing to help with advice on technique. They were encouraged to compete by their Chief and were supplied with factory ammo.
We started a Thursday night shoot on indoor ranges which included teams from Merseyside, Lancashire HQ and Blackpool forces.
Merseyside always won.
Times have changed. No private pistol clubs any more. More crime. Less respect for the police.
Fred
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#13 Post by Lever357 »

MistAgain wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:45 am
Graham M wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:52 am
The ECHO has revealed Mr Rimmer, Ms Dale and Ms Edwards were all shot by criminals using Skorpion machine pistols. The gun, described as "battlefield weaponry", is capable of discharging 850 rounds in a minute.

Which were stolen from a legal gun-owner's house .........apparently. kukkuk
32 ACP is hardly a "battlefield weapon" .

This is the editors email address :maria.breslin@reachplc.com

Perhaps if she gets a lot of emails pointing out some real facts and questioning what the "trainee reporter" has written , she may try to be a bit more balanced .

And the BASC's head of firearms is away till late next week .
My friend sent me a video of him shooting a Skorpion and all 20 cartridge cases were in the air before the first one hit the ground. It might only be a 32ACP but you wouldn't want to be hit by 20 of them!
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#14 Post by Dark Skies »

.32 acp was also the round used in the best 'silenced' pistol (Welrod) to date.
But the fact remains, everything about this story is lazy, ill-researched bo...cks.
The only thing it lacked by way of icing on the cake was for Peter Squires to add his tuppence ha'pennny.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."

#15 Post by 1066 »

Dark Skies wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:53 pm The only thing it lacked by way of icing on the cake was for Peter Squires to add his tuppence ha'pennny.
:D :D
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Graham M

#16 Post by Graham M »

I always thought Squires was a slimy s***.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Dark Skies

#17 Post by Dark Skies »

Graham M wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:35 pm I always thought Squires was a slimy s***.

I've read some of his stuff and found him to be master of the lazy conclusion. Here's an example.
https://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/publ ... un-culture
However, in my opinion, he can always be relied upon to say what the gutter press want to hear, when it comes to firearms.
Blackstuff

#18 Post by Blackstuff »

Dark Skies wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:35 pm
Graham M wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:35 pm I always thought Squires was a slimy s***.

I've read some of his stuff and found him to be master of the lazy conclusion. Here's an example.
https://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/publ ... un-culture
However, in my opinion, he can always be relied upon to say what the gutter press want to hear, when it comes to firearms.
He really is a pathetic shyster. The first paragraph alone should tell anyone with half a brain about the veracity of the rest of the information contained in it troutslapping
DVC
paul mercer
Home club or Range: Tavistock Miniature rifle club

#19 Post by paul mercer »

You're right! Just read the link that you supplied, it's total bull...t, but typical of the anti gun lobby.
Dark Skies

#20 Post by Dark Skies »

paul mercer wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:21 am You're right! Just read the link that you supplied, it's total bull...t, but typical of the anti gun lobby.
From his own website:
"In 2003 he was briefly co-opted onto the Home Office Firearms Consultative Committee as a result of his work in the field of firearms and crime. More recently he has joined the ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) independent advisory group on criminal use of firearms."
https://www.petersquires.net

Given his 'expertise', you'd think he'd have at least gleaned that we have shotgun and firearm certificates - NOT licences.
I'm undecided if the article is a deliberate attempt to pull the wool over the eyes of the public by focussing on high-end shotgun owners whilst referring interchangeably to shooting sports as a whole, when contemplating the cost of firearm certificates v police expenses. Perhaps it's just REALLY lazy research.

It looks like he joined the ACPO advisory group just as they were being disbanded regarding their function and value for money. That's a shame.

"In 1996 ACPO became a private company limited by guarantee, providing it the status of a legal entity able to bring and defend legal actions. In April 2013, following an independent review into its structure, function and value for money, ACPO was disbanded."
https://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/re ... /acpo.aspx