Marlin Valuation

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Marlin Valuation

#1 Post by 20series »

Peeps

looking or some advice on a value for a Marlin under Lever as it sits in the cabinet doing nothing and I've decided to move it on but looking around on Guntrader etc there are varying differences.

It's a 1894C in 38/357, the serial number starts with 91 which makes it a 2009 model. It's not done much shooting and come with a Williams adjustable peep sight, there are a few small cabinet marks on the wood work but nothing major.

Can anyone more learned give some idea of what I should put it up for please?

Alan
Attachments
20230401_151949.jpg
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Graham M

Re: Marlin Valuation

#2 Post by Graham M »

Is it a Remlin???
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
20series

#3 Post by 20series »

Graham M wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:48 am Is it a Remlin???
Well this is the quandry it's dated 2009 but the markings are Marlin Fireaems Company so not sure at which point it changed.
Attachments
20230401_151850.jpg
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#4 Post by Dark Skies »

Does it have REP stamped on it anywhere? If so, it's a Remington built rifle,
Remington bought Marlin in 2007, but 'Marlin' Marlin parts were still being used up until 2009. That said there was some shaky build quality around that era too - despite Remington using Marlin parts.
I've heard it was because the skills to make tired tooling work to Marlin specs was lost in the transition.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
20series

#5 Post by 20series »

Ill give it a good looking over later.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

Dark Skies wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:45 pm I've heard it was because the skills to make tired tooling work to Marlin specs was lost in the transition.
Yes.
IIRC.....it was something along the lines of, they bought them out, got rid of all the old Marlin workers that had had years of knowledge of knowing how to keep the old tooling going, and moved the tooling elsewhere, and then none of the people where they had moved it too knew how to keep it running properly.
Dark Skies

#7 Post by Dark Skies »

GeeRam wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:50 pm
Dark Skies wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:45 pm I've heard it was because the skills to make tired tooling work to Marlin specs was lost in the transition.
Yes.
IIRC.....it was something along the lines of, they bought them out, got rid of all the old Marlin workers that had had years of knowledge of knowing how to keep the old tooling going, and moved the tooling elsewhere, and then none of the people where they had moved it too knew how to keep it running properly.
Yes, it's a tricky period to pin down, is 2009, as Marlins were still being made at the North Haven plant by Marlin staff. I believe Remington ran out of Marlin produced receivers before they ran out of barrels. So, you could see rifles with a JM barrel with a Remington receiver. If a serial number begins with REM then it's definitely Remlin. If it has R.E.P. on the barrel (right side, I think) it Remklin.
Other than that, it's a very gray area as these things kind of bled into the system according to supplies in various clibres.

As far as buyers go for 2009 rifles - they're always going to go with 'if it ain't got JM on the barrel, it ain't Marlin.' Naturally, this has seen some folk try and 'fix' the situation and stamp their own 'JM' mark.

It'd be worth joining the Marlin Owners forum - a lot of the info you might seek is available only to members.
20series

#8 Post by 20series »

Yep found REP on the right hand side, but serial doesn't start REM.
Attachments
20230401_151858.jpg
20230403_201155.jpg
Dark Skies

#9 Post by Dark Skies »

20series wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:15 pm Yep found REP on the right hand side, but serial doesn't start REM.
They don't always. I think it started creeping in around 2010/11