All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: coach gun

#21 Post by Blackstuff »

MistAgain wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:03 pm
I cant see what the problem is .

Barrels are damaged , or even worn to thin at the muzzle end to fire .
RFD takes pics , shortens barrel , send to proof . Crushes the cut off barrel bits and takes pictures .
Shotgun passes proof , gets returned to RFD .
Owner collects shotgun as soon as he has variation , assuming he is in one of the Western Shooting Associations .

No laws have been broken , everyone is happy , apart from the GCN .
Common sense says theres no issue, the legislation, or possibly the current interpretation of it says otherwise. Walesdave has already provided the link to the relevant part of the Act in post #9 but here it is:

(1)Subject to this section, it is an offence to shorten the barrel of a shot gun to a length less than 24 inches.

(2)It is not an offence under subsection (1) above for a registered firearms dealer to shorten the barrel of a shot gun for the sole purpose of replacing a defective part of the barrel so as to produce a barrel not less than 24 inches in length.

(3)It is an offence for a person other than a registered firearms dealer to convert into a firearm anything which, though having the appearance of being a firearm, is so constructed as to be incapable of discharging any missile through its barrel.

I asked two FLDs and two large shotgun gunsmith outfits and got the same answer from all. Hence why I was contemplating forking out for airfare to get mine sorted.
DVC
walesdave

#22 Post by walesdave »

Blackstuff wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:59 am

RFD takes pics , shortens barrel , send to proof . Crushes the cut off barrel bits and takes pictures .
Owner collects shotgun as soon as he has variation , assuming he is in one of the Western Shooting Associations .

Common sense says theres no issue, the legislation, or possibly the current interpretation of it says otherwise. Walesdave has already provided the link to the relevant part of the Act in post #9 but here it is:

(1)Subject to this section, it is an offence to shorten the barrel of a shot gun to a length less than 24 inches.

(2)It is not an offence under subsection (1) above for a registered firearms dealer to shorten the barrel of a shot gun for the sole purpose of replacing a defective part of the barrel so as to produce a barrel not less than 24 inches in length.

(3)It is an offence for a person other than a registered firearms dealer to convert into a firearm anything which, though having the appearance of being a firearm, is so constructed as to be incapable of discharging any missile through its barrel.

I asked two FLDs and two large shotgun gunsmith outfits and got the same answer from all. Hence why I was contemplating forking out for airfare to get mine sorted.
That was an option when I contemplated cutting a ratty SBS down just for fun. I've had a spare slot for 12 Bore FAC shotgun with no action type specified so I thought the worse could happen would be the FEO might have it off me at next renewal.
Had a chat with a locailish RFD / Gunsmith who said not a chance he'd take a hacksaw to a shotgun barrel as the police would have a field day (admittedly he didn't have a very good relationship with them). RFD knew I spent a lot of time in Brussels and had a EFP, suggested I take the shotgun for a trip and have it cut down there and enter it on my FAC when I got back - sounded a bit dodgy for me so I didn't bother; if I wanted to the local range I shot at had a few short shotguns (would be UK Sec 1) but they were a bit pricy for me.
Chapuis

#23 Post by Chapuis »

Blackstuff wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:18 am
Dellboy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:22 am
Did they say you cant do it or it cant be done , meaning the work needs to be done by an rfd ?
That it can't be done, full stop, regardless of who carries out the work. I even went to a couple of gunsmiths and asked them their opinion separately and they both said that it was a no go.

On the contrary laws would be broken and for that reason I can't see any RFD or gunsmith being a party to such an attempt to circumvent the law. Though I have to admit that in the past before RFDs and gunsmiths were much better informed on the full meaning of the legislation some shotguns were shortened in such a manner, in particular .410 shotguns to create shot pistols for humane dispatch purposes.