coach gun

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

MistAgain

Re: coach gun

#11 Post by MistAgain »

Graham M wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:23 pm It's all academic though isn't it. Can you really envisage your firearms licencing dept' allowing you to have one of these. teanews

sawn off.jpg
And of course when the FEO tells you you cant have what you want or even keep what you have , will you expect any assistance from other shooters (if there are any left that is)
Graham M

#12 Post by Graham M »

MistAgain wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:28 pm
Graham M wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:23 pm It's all academic though isn't it. Can you really envisage your firearms licencing dept' allowing you to have one of these. teanews

sawn off.jpg
And of course when the FEO tells you you cant have what you want or even keep what you have , will you expect any assistance from other shooters (if there are any left that is)
Wasn't decrying anyone for wanting or owning one of these so don't go down this road as it's something that pi$$es me off. I have time and time again castigated those amongst us who have condemned the wants and needs of other shooters, so it's something I don't do myself. So please don't accuse me of doing so.
I was merely pointing out that someone, who isn't into CAS or re-enactment would probably find it nigh on impossible to justify wanting one.
If anyone on this forum wants one then go ahead.....................but if you don't have the criteria to own one then good luck is all I'm saying. teanews
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MistAgain

#13 Post by MistAgain »

Graham M wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:07 pm
MistAgain wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:28 pm

sawn off.jpg
Wasn't decrying anyone for wanting or owning one of these so don't go down this road as it's something that pi$$es me off. I have time and time again castigated those amongst us who have condemned the wants and needs of other shooters, so it's something I don't do myself. So please don't accuse me of doing so.
I was merely pointing out that someone, who isn't into CAS or re-enactment would probably find it nigh on impossible to justify wanting one.
If anyone on this forum wants one then go ahead.....................but if you don't have the criteria to own one then good luck is all I'm saying. teanews
There is a world of difference between saying " It's all academic though isn't it. Can you really envisage your firearms licencing dept' allowing you to have one of these."

And "If anyone on this forum wants one then go ahead.....................but if you don't have the criteria to own one then good luck is all I'm saying."
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#14 Post by meles meles »

* picks up telephone, dials *

"Hello? Mr Plod? It is? Good. Badger 'ere. We's going to be travellin' by National Express next week and we're wondering.... Ah..... Yes...... We sees..... Full auto, magazine fed, you recommends? Okay, we'll put a variation in for one of them...."
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

walesdave wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:30 am A double barrel shotgun meeting the 12/24 rule and under the 'shotgun length' is a Sec1 firearm and can be held like any other. Generally the only 'good reason' I've heard of for holding on is Cowboy Action Shooting but who knows if any other reason would be accepted - just give it a try.

Problem is due to (I believe) arcane proof laws it is illegal to cut a shotgun barrel whatever length it starts off or ends up unless sit is by a gunsmith to effect a repair on a damaged barrel.

So you can buy a coach gun that is manufactured to the 12/24 rule but you can't cut one down.
/\/\ This /\/\

I wanted to cut down the barrel of a S1 lever-action gun from 24" to 'something a bit shorter' and the simple answer is, you're not permitted to by law. But I could just buy a shorter barrel and put it on the same gun no problem (after getting a variation for the new barrel). Utterly ridiculous.

My gun was an Adler A110 made in Turkey but no one was importing the readily available (over there) shorter barrels. It had got to the point that I was going to fly to Turkey, get a taxi to the factory, buy the barrel and fly home (Chuck and his amazing wife had even been in contact with the factory for me to try to get it arranged, with them being locals!).

Fortunately the FQ Bobcat came out just before I was getting my passport ready, which is/was available with a short barrel and it saved me a considerable amount of time, money and hassle! shakeshout
DVC
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#16 Post by Dellboy »

Blackstuff wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:29 am
walesdave wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:30 am A double barrel shotgun meeting the 12/24 rule and under the 'shotgun length' is a Sec1 firearm and can be held like any other. Generally the only 'good reason' I've heard of for holding on is Cowboy Action Shooting but who knows if any other reason would be accepted - just give it a try.

Problem is due to (I believe) arcane proof laws it is illegal to cut a shotgun barrel whatever length it starts off or ends up unless sit is by a gunsmith to effect a repair on a damaged barrel.

So you can buy a coach gun that is manufactured to the 12/24 rule but you can't cut one down.
/\/\ This /\/\

I wanted to cut down the barrel of a S1 lever-action gun from 24" to 'something a bit shorter' and the simple answer is, you're not permitted to by law. But I could just buy a shorter barrel and put it on the same gun no problem (after getting a variation for the new barrel). Utterly ridiculous.

My gun was an Adler A110 made in Turkey but no one was importing the readily available (over there) shorter barrels. It had got to the point that I was going to fly to Turkey, get a taxi to the factory, buy the barrel and fly home (Chuck and his amazing wife had even been in contact with the factory for me to try to get it arranged, with them being locals!).

Fortunately the FQ Bobcat came out just before I was getting my passport ready, which is/was available with a short barrel and it saved me a considerable amount of time, money and hassle! shakeshout

Did they say you cant do it or it cant be done , meaning the work needs to be done by an rfd ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#17 Post by redcat »

When the BWSS first started (c. 1994) I bought an old Belgian hammer gun - black powder proof only - and the barrels were cut to 20" by an RFD and it was obtained (after a long debate with Durham constabulary) on a Section 1 variation. The gun was subsequently sold, repurchased then sold again over a matter of a few years. When I later decided I would like to repeat the process I was informed that it was not allowed and that if I needed a 20" I would have to buy one that length. At the time there were a number of ex-police Viking SxS models around with 20" barrels so wasn't a problem.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Blackstuff »

Dellboy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:22 am
Did they say you cant do it or it cant be done , meaning the work needs to be done by an rfd ?
That it can't be done, full stop, regardless of who carries out the work. I even went to a couple of gunsmiths and asked them their opinion separately and they both said that it was a no go.
DVC
MistAgain

#19 Post by MistAgain »

Blackstuff wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:18 am
Dellboy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:22 am
That it can't be done, full stop, regardless of who carries out the work. I even went to a couple of gunsmiths and asked them their opinion separately and they both said that it was a no go.
I cant see what the problem is .

Barrels are damaged , or even worn to thin at the muzzle end to fire .
RFD takes pics , shortens barrel , send to proof . Crushes the cut off barrel bits and takes pictures .
Shotgun passes proof , gets returned to RFD .
Owner collects shotgun as soon as he has variation , assuming he is in one of the Western Shooting Associations .

No laws have been broken , everyone is happy , apart from the GCN .
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#20 Post by bradaz11 »

its about moving the shotgun from sec2 to sec1. law says you can't do it. only times i seems to happen is on capacity, not length.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns