Home Office approved clubs - New members with an FAC

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Individual
Past Supporter

Home Office approved clubs - New members with an FAC

#1 Post by Individual »

When someone with a valid FAC applies to join a home office approved club, does the club have to wait for police approval/background check before that person can become a probationary member?

All advice gratefully received
davidh195
Past Supporter

Re: Home Office approved clubs - New members with an FAC

#2 Post by davidh195 »

No.

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#3 Post by Mattnall »

No, and if the club is happy they can become a full member straight away.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Graham M

#4 Post by Graham M »

If the person has a FAC already, then he has already been approved by the police. Even so some clubs may feel it is a good idea to treat them as probationers for a couple of months or so.
I joined a fullbore a couple of years back to shoot black powder and despite being a FAC holder for over 50 years they still put me through a probationers course and made me show that I knew how to make a rifle safe etc.
Thing was, I was told that if I wanted to go to the range at anytime during the week, all I had to do was turn up, open the range and shoot by myself, something which is absolutely unheard of in any of the clubs I have been a member of.
When I asked about what would happen if I had an accident or shot myself, the answer was ......................."Make sure you don't do it".

So there you are, you can pass all the probationary courses you want, but the rules can still be bloody dangerous if you already have a long-term knowledge about shooting etiquette.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
moriraaca
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by moriraaca »

It seems it's purely up to the club. I don't even have FAC, but I did finish NRA probationary course, and have SSC. I've recently applied for membership in 3 clubs. One wants me to do full probationary membership procedure. In second I'm a probationary member but the rules are more relaxed. In third I'm a full member thanks to NRA training and SSC ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Perhaps one reason is that the first club has it's own range, and I don't know all the rules there. The other two shoot at Bisely where I did my NRA courses, so I guess I know the rules there.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#6 Post by 20series »

Minimum 3 months is the home office rule for anyone joining a club no matter what their experience, Some clubs insist on 6.

Oundle work it that you have to do 6 visits in a maximum of 6 months, if after three months you have done 6 visits then your file is passed around the committee for approval to be offered full membership at the next committee meeting

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Individual
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Individual »

:good:
Thanks for your responses so far. All useful.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

20series wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:23 am Minimum 3 months is the home office rule for anyone joining a club no matter what their experience, Some clubs insist on 6.
Not quite true. The probationary period can be waived in a few instances although many clubs will require some sort of probationary period or maybe an acceptance period for new member even if the exception could apply.
HO Club Approval Guide wrote:T. the probationary period may be waived, at the club’s discretion, for someone who is already a full member of another club which has been approved by the Secretary of State or Scottish Government in respect of the same type or types of firearm; or holds a firearm certificate; or has handled firearms in the course of his/her duty in the police or the armed services, and has a statement from his/her existing or former senior/commanding officer saying that he/she is fully trained in handling the type of firearms in respect of which the club has obtained approval and is able to use them safely without supervision;
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#9 Post by 20series »

Oh well, every day is a school day
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP