Gallery rifle help

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

Gallery rifle help

#1 Post by johngarnett »

Greetings all GR lever actioneers,

Some advice from any experienced gallery rifle competitors please. I'm shooting MT and T&P comps up to 25m plus the odd 50m stage using 38spl in a Marlin 1894CS. I'm using a red dot at the moment but it is in need of replacement. Considering a 'scope instead - 3x up to say 10x ?? What suggestions does anyone have please?

I'm also changing the powder and bullets due to supply difficulties. Now trying Titegroup and have some 140grn and 158gr lead truncated cone. Any recommendations please? I think you can write here combinations but not exact loads (PM me?)

Thanks for any help

JohnG Cornwalldy
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Gallery rifle help

#2 Post by Mattnall »

I almost only shoot up to 25/30m at GR events and not further with the same rifle you have (and a 44version sometimes).
I have tried to keep away from the scope route as I think it is a bit 'wrong' to put a scope on a design like the 1894 but I must admit I will no doubt have to soon. Therefore I'll not be much help on the scope front.

For ammo I use a 158 GM hardcast bullet and around the 4.7gn mark of Unique. Works for me and seems to be very consistent, enough to get several medals at the Action Weekends and other comps. (Source for data is the Proof Tested rounds sent to the Proof House, report is available if you're interested).
I mostly load in a 38spl case as I can get 10 in the magazine this way. If I load the same recipe in a magnum case it works just the same but I lose a round. Not a big issue in most comps where 6 rounds is the norm but occasionally the CoF requires a 10 round stage and then it becomes an issue.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.

#3 Post by 1066 »

Hi John - I shoot a Winchester 94AE .357 for this sort of thing. I use a low powered scope, a Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5-5 x20 - it suits me and the rifle well for what I use it for, unfortunately I don't think that scope is still available.

I shoot mostly 25yds indoors every week with occasional outdoor 50yds comps. I shoot a low load of Unique with a handcast truncated cone soft lead bullet. I've tailored the load to match the Magtec Cowboy .357 load of about 1,050 fps.

10 at 25 yds, sandbag rested. (PL12)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
johngarnett

#4 Post by johngarnett »

Thank you both - very much. Exactly what I was hoping for!!

JohnG
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Mattnall putting up here the proofhouse data on your pressure tested rounds would be most interesting and informative.

Also do you know the proofhouse's pressure testing method, copper, lead, strain whatever?

Anyone contemplating using this load should do exactly the same as Mattnall and send test loads to a proofhouse for pressure verification.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
johngarnett

#6 Post by johngarnett »

Stand easy, one and all lol

Rest assured I will NOT be jumping in at 6.7!!

I have been reloading for 50 yrs and take a lot of care re what I load. I just wondered if anyone had any comments about the component combination - '140's are crap at 50m' or 'Titegroup shouldn't see the light of day' !!!!!

Thank you all

JohnG Cornwalldy
Mattnall

#7 Post by Mattnall »

@johngarnett.
Argh, 4.7gn of Unique (6.7 is the 44spl charge I've been working with). I shouldn't be allowed on the computer after midday. :oops:

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Mattnall

#8 Post by Mattnall »

dromia wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:53 am Mattnall putting up here the proofhouse data on your pressure tested rounds would be most interesting and informative.

Also do you know the proofhouse's pressure testing method, copper, lead, strain whatever?

Anyone contemplating using this load should do exactly the same as Mattnall and send test loads to a proofhouse for pressure verification.
The proofing of homeloads is a painless process and very informative (as long as I report the correct loads on the forum :oops: ). There is a small cost but unless you are having many different batches tested it is not prohibitive. If you're lucky you'll get a tour of the facilities, they are very nice and welcoming people.

I've had several cartridge/calibres/loadings tested and one of the 38spl reports is below, it's the load I use now for all my 38spl ammo. I was surprised at the variation from max to min but the results on target are fantastic, if I hadn't had them tested I'd never know and wouldn't worry.
As for pressure testing method, this was explained to me as we toured but the finer details are a bit over my head (check this out https://bobp.cip-bobp.org/uploads/cipte ... 684412.pdf). They put a hole in the side of the case and cover with a transducer, all very time consuming. The calibration process is quite involved and needs to be carried out regularly.

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

Thank you for that, very interesting.

I have amended your post accordingly

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mattnall

#10 Post by Mattnall »

Thank you Dromia.

I had some 223 tested as well. My old 'go to' loading of R15/77SMKs which had done me well for many years was trumped by both of the RSTac loadings, at least on the consistency front - if it makes a difference on the target I'll have to wait and see. With the lack of R15 availability I was trying to replicate the load with the Tac.