Old black powder storage regulations

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

PeterN

Old black powder storage regulations

#1 Post by PeterN »

I was going to reply to the other thread, but it got locked. Going back 32 years, North Yorkshire Police issued an instruction for storage requirements for black powder. I, of course, complied. It wasn't very long before these instructions were superseded by requiring a wooden box and not a metal one. A friend made me a wooden box that I still use. Someone must have realised they had required us to make a potential bomb. I no longer use the yellow box for storing any type of powder.
Explosives box 1.jpg
Explosives box 2.jpg
Explosives letter.jpg
Regards
Peter.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Old black powder storage regulations

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

mine is as close to a door as I can possibly get it. i'm complying with their rule on it must be locked and secured to the building. but it can be hoofed out the door in seconds. I still think all the nitro and pressurised canisters are more of a threat to the average firefighter, but there you go.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Graham M

#3 Post by Graham M »

I was told that I had to chain mine to the wall :o So gawd help anyone trying to throw it out in the event of a fire.
In the end the FEO said I could just make sure it was locked away in a cupboard with a lock on the door.............. 5mith
I was also told to lock my smokeless powder in there as well.
Wonder how high a roof goes when a bomb is set off underneath it. any????
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

i'm using a trigger lock, those wire topped padlocks.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
BrettR
Home club or Range: Cheshunt RPC

#5 Post by BrettR »

I was equally puzzled when the FEO insisted mine was attached to the building. Just hope I don’t need to move it in a hurry
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#6 Post by redcat »

If my house is on fire the last thing I am going to go for is a box of gunpowder!

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

Could storing a 5 litre/large bottle of water next to it be an option? just tip it in and run?
DVC
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

Blackstuff wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:17 am Could storing a 5 litre/large bottle of water next to it be an option? just tip it in and run?
If you have time to arse about like that, then you have time to pick the box up and take it with you.

If you keep the locked wooden box in a locked room, you need not attach it to anything. If it's an unlocked room, then the manufacturers of my box recommended I attach it to the pipe of a radiator or similar via a thin metal cable (supplied). The idea being that the attachment provides protection from opportunist theft, whilst being easy to cut with a fireman's side cutters.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#9 Post by channel12 »

When some official is asking you do something you must ask them to put their request in writing and citing the relevant section of the Act or Regulation so you can read exactly what the law requires of you. As an appointed Health & Safety Inspector in the course of my enforcement inspections I would make it clear what was good practice, "you should" and what was a legal requirement, "you must" and it was put in writing. Remember if there's no written record, it never happen as they say.
PeterN

#10 Post by PeterN »

My wooden black powder box is on top of a gun cabinet. No mention of securing it to anything when it was last checked. I took it down, opened it to show the contents and put it back. The lid is secured closed with a padlock though. Most of the smokeless powder is stored in an old plastic cool box. They never bothered about checking that.
Regards
Peter.