help with historical Information on shotgun

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

southlandmechser
Home club or Range: I shoot at home

Re: help with historical Information on shotgun

#1 Post by southlandmechser »

southlandmechser wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:38 pm Hello,

I'm new here and not sure where to post this question. usflag.gif

I purchased this Shotgun in 2015. I sent it to a gunsmith and had it inspected and was told:

"CHECKED WALL THICKNESS NO ISSUES FOUND. Bore diameter left barrel: .767, right barrel .762 - .759"

It was deemed in safe condition to shoot! I suppose the left barrel being one diameter that it is for ball or shot use, and the right being tapered (choked) is for shot only. I have shot patched 75 cal ball from the left, buck and ball from both barrels, and various size smaller shot from both.

Here's the real question: The manufacturer stamped on the lock plates is "Scott & Son" the proofs seem to indicate it was manufactured and proofed in Birmingham. Everything I'm told says this was manufactured by Scott prior to 1858 and that his son was the engraver. In later years Scott became a proofer in Birmingham and his business name became W.C. Scott and Sons. But, I can find no information/documentation supporting this.

I'm sending photos in hopes that someone can help. The barrel has many proof marks, but lacks the manufacturers name stamped on the lock plates. I suspect the proof/barrel markings tell a story!
Attachments
20190526_123306(2).jpg
20190526_123113.jpg
20200802_130541.jpg
Brian S.
Blackpowder weapons enthusiast.
redcat
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#2 Post by redcat »

Can you get a clearer version of photo 3?

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
PeterN

#3 Post by PeterN »

If you click on the photo and click on it again, it brings it up very close. It looks like it was proofed as an 11 bore.
Regards
Peter.
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

southlandmechser wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:05 pm Hello,

I'm new here and not sure where to post this question.
what is your question though??
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
redcat
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#5 Post by redcat »

PeterN wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:03 pm If you click on the photo and click on it again, it brings it up very close. It looks like it was proofed as an 11 bore.
Regards
Peter.
I can see the '11' but I'd like clearer photos of the other marks - might give some more information.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
southlandmechser

#6 Post by southlandmechser »

bradaz11 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:20 pm
southlandmechser wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:05 pm Hello,

I'm new here and not sure where to post this question.
what is your question though??
I want historical information on my shotgun....it says Scott&Son, not W.C. Scott. I'd like to know the year of manufacture.
Brian S.
southlandmechser

#7 Post by southlandmechser »

redcat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:53 pm Can you get a clearer version of photo 3?

Redcat

If you tap on the photo, it will open larger and be VERY clear...thanks!
Brian S.
southlandmechser

#8 Post by southlandmechser »

redcat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:59 pm
PeterN wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:03 pm If you click on the photo and click on it again, it brings it up very close. It looks like it was proofed as an 11 bore.
Regards
Peter.
I can see the '11' but I'd like clearer photos of the other marks - might give some more information.

Redcat
Hello, did you click on the photo, it opens larger and the proof marks are VERY clear.
Thanks
Brian S.
southlandmechser

#9 Post by southlandmechser »

Image[/img]
southlandmechser wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:05 pm
southlandmechser wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:38 pm Hello,

I'm new here and not sure where to post this question. usflag.gif

I purchased this Shotgun in 2015. I sent it to a gunsmith and had it inspected and was told:

"CHECKED WALL THICKNESS NO ISSUES FOUND. Bore diameter left barrel: .767, right barrel .762 - .759"

It was deemed in safe condition to shoot! I suppose the left barrel being one diameter that it is for ball or shot use, and the right being tapered (choked) is for shot only. I have shot patched 75 cal ball from the left, buck and ball from both barrels, and various size smaller shot from both.

Here's the real question: The manufacturer stamped on the lock plates is "Scott & Son" the proofs seem to indicate it was manufactured and proofed in Birmingham. Everything I'm told says this was manufactured by Scott prior to 1858 and that his son was the engraver. In later years Scott became a proofer in Birmingham and his business name became W.C. Scott and Sons. But, I can find no information/documentation supporting this.

I'm sending photos in hopes that someone can help. The barrel has many proof marks, but lacks the manufacturers name stamped on the lock plates. I suspect the proof/barrel markings tell a story!
Attachments
Scott & Son
Scott & Son
Brian S.