Improvised gun security

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Tallguy

Improvised gun security

#1 Post by Tallguy »

OK, so here’s a potential scenario. I’m staying away from home, got the big rifles with me. No gun cabinet available, don’t want to leave the guns in the car even with the bolts removed. I’m thinking of removing the bolts and keeping them with me whilst securing the guns to something like a radiator etc. with a suitable steel cable or fine chain with a lock on it.

Any other ideas and also any products to recommend please?
Alpha1

Re: Improvised gun security

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

So you are staying away from home you have the Guns with you so you are some were you expect to use them. I would expect that Gun storage would be available. A scenario really get a life.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

Find an RFD local to where you are staying and store them there?
Blackstuff

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Tallguy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:14 am OK, so here’s a potential scenario. I’m staying away from home, got the big rifles with me. No gun cabinet available, don’t want to leave the guns in the car even with the bolts removed. I’m thinking of removing the bolts and keeping them with me whilst securing the guns to something like a radiator etc. with a suitable steel cable or fine chain with a lock on it.

Any other ideas and also any products to recommend please?
I do this all the time and what you have outlined is what I do most of the time. If the rooms furniture can be moved to further hide them I also do that. You have to take 'reasonable' precautions, i'd say the gun being in a non-working state, fastened in a way to stop anyone who isn't armed with burglary tools from being able to remove it, ammo in the car boot and the gun hidden from plain sight is 'reasonable'.

There are other products like trigger locks but they really don't do much other than making pulling the trigger marginally more difficult.

Some shooting venues have their own storage facilities so its worth dropping them a line to enquire.
DVC
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#5 Post by channel12 »

Many years ago a couple of club members stayed in Travelodge in the Liverpool area because they were shooting a match the next day. They secured their guns to the shower while went out the evening, came back to hotel and armed police were waiting for them, room service had been into their room for some reason.
millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#6 Post by millemigliadave »

In addition to the comments above, I would add that the simplest precaution to take is to avoid being seen bringing them in. Even with rifles/shotguns it may be possible to disguise them in the gun-slip by carrying it upright with a coat over it to hide the shape.

Also suggest leaving the 'do not disturb/I am sleeping' door hanger that most places provide over the door outside to dissuade staff from entering.

If no-one knows a firearm is there, surely the risk is reduced....

Just my ha'penny worth.
RDC

#7 Post by RDC »

Alpha1 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:29 am A scenario really get a life.

You really need to stop browsing this forum when you are a couple of bottles of wine into your night.

Not everywhere you can go to shoot will have storage arrangements on site. Someone is attempting to do their due diligence by asking for the experience of other forum members, and all you do is be condescending and insulting. Presumably because you were posting at half 1 in the morning and half cut.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

Correction - full cut.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I all ways post in the early hours I dont go to bed before 2am. What makes you think I am drunk. If I was how would I be able to get up at 08.00 am to put in a full days work. A scenario. Common sense tells you what you need to do.
Tallguy

#10 Post by Tallguy »

Alpha1 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:29 am So you are staying away from home you have the Guns with you so you are some were you expect to use them. I would expect that Gun storage would be available. A scenario really get a life.
Well I stay at my Mum’s and she doesn’t have a gun box! The place I am expecting to shoot May well have storage available but I posted looking for ideas when that storage may not be available.