long barrel, short barrel, light or heavy?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

paul mercer
Home club or Range: Tavistock Miniature rifle club

long barrel, short barrel, light or heavy?

#1 Post by paul mercer »

I currently have a Rimfire magic rifle with a 12 1/2" Volquartsen 'bull' barrel which shoots very well and its short light weight makes it very fast to get on when firing at turning targets.
I'm currently gradually customising another standard 10/22 with a BX trigger unit and Magpul stock but has the standard Ruger 18" stainless barrel which I am considering changing either for another Volquartsen, but in 16" or perhaps a heavy steel bull barrel which many of my clubmates seem to prefer.
Has anyone tried out both types and if so what is your opinions of short or long, heavy or light barrels
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: long barrel, short barrel, light or heavy?

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

this may sound stupid, but if your clubmates prefer the heavy barrel, and you have a light barrel, why don't you ask to try one of theirs?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

Don’t bother with a custom bull barrel, get a Ruger 10/22 Target. Can be picked up for 350 quid. The Ruger barrel on this is outstanding!! Spend the rest of the money on a trigger upgrade and ammo.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
paul mercer
Home club or Range: Tavistock Miniature rifle club

#4 Post by paul mercer »

Thanks for your replies.
I have tried a couple of guns with heavy barrels, but both were in a short Boyds 'thumbhole' type stock which was quite nice to shoot, but I found them rather 'forward heavy' without the long fore end that the Magpul stock has. I'll have a re-think on the whole thing!