Forward venting blank firers....

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Forward venting blank firers....

#21 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:56 pm It’s a mandatory sentence stipulated in statute. He could have named the location and passed a photograph of Lord Lucan, and he’s still getting the five years. A judge does not have discretion in such cases.
Plod could have used their discretion whether this was worth passing on to the CPS or just some naive guy ignorant of the law that needed a warning. Was it really in the public interest to stick him in prison at public expense for five years? And afterwards he'll have a criminal record that'll hold him back from being a productive member of society. And for what? Ordering some cheap pot metal cap gun?

I know rules is rules in this country, but policing history is replete with officers with a string of serious complaints against them that are waived by their force when they ought to be banged up for ther sexual predators and nonces they turn out to be.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G
Past Supporter

#22 Post by Sim G »

Blackstuff wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:55 am I've seen a dozen stories where possession of a live S5 firearm was part of the charges and the sentence was sub 5 years so there's some 'discretion' in the system somewhere!
Not in my experience, Mark. I’ve sought charges on everyone. My last job of unlawful possession of s5 pistol and s1 ammunition, the CPS were given everything. Their opinion stated that sentencing should start at 7 1/2 years. He pleaded guilty at the very first opportunity and was sentenced to the mandatory five, no qualms.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#23 Post by Sim G »

Dark Skies wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:31 pm Plod could have used their discretion whether this was worth passing on to the CPS or just some naive guy ignorant of the law that needed a warning. Was it really in the public interest to stick him in prison at public expense for five years? And afterwards he'll have a criminal record that'll hold him back from being a productive member of society. And for what? Ordering some cheap pot metal cap gun?

I know rules is rules in this country, but policing history is replete with officers with a string of serious complaints against them that are waived by their force when they ought to be banged up for ther sexual predators and nonces they turn out to be.

No they couldn’t have done. The gravity matrix would never have allowed such, on top of which there are so many other checks and balances that again, “turning a blind eye” to such a thing would never get passed the “sounding out” stage. Never mind keeping such a thing back from the CPS not only breaches more policy than you could shake a stick at, it in itself would be unlawful.

And there we go! All coppers are domestic violence merchants and sexual predators… and you get testy when given the atrocities committed by certificate holders, is used to tar all certificate holders. FFS.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Dark Skies

#24 Post by Dark Skies »

"And there we go! All coppers are domestic violence merchants and sexual predators…"

Except I didn't say "all", I said "replete". Still, it wouldn't be the first time a copper rewrote someone's statement.

"Atrocities?" I think they can be counted on one hand, if at all. You're obviously thinking of someone else. Or trying to fit me up. :)
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#25 Post by redcat »

Why are people feeling sorry for this guy? Ignorance of the law ("Sorry I didn't know it was illegal") is not an excuse for breaking it. He had in his possession a Section 5 firearm. End of story. Those who break the firearms laws are the reason we are no longer shooting handguns.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#26 Post by Sim G »

Dark Skies wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:41 am "And there we go! All coppers are domestic violence merchants and sexual predators…"

Except I didn't say "all", I said "replete". Still, it wouldn't be the first time a copper rewrote someone's statement.

"Atrocities?" I think they can be counted on one hand, if at all. You're obviously thinking of someone else. Or trying to fit me up. :)

You’re a dick.

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#27 Post by Dellboy »

redcat wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:24 pm Why are people feeling sorry for this guy? Ignorance of the law ("Sorry I didn't know it was illegal") is not an excuse for breaking it. He had in his possession a Section 5 firearm. End of story. Those who break the firearms laws are the reason we are no longer shooting handguns.

Redcat
Considering the mistakes made by firearms licensing i guess mistakes only happen one way ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

redcat
Past Supporter

#28 Post by redcat »

Who says the guy made a mistake? If he just wanted a blank firer there are many to be had in this country but he seemingly wanted a front venting pistol. In his position would you not wonder why they are not available in the UK?

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
redcat
Past Supporter

#29 Post by redcat »

Looking back at the photograph in the original post, that black semi-auto does not seem to be the pistol he is being charged for - that is a top venting model, legal in this country if you can satisfy the 2006 VCR bill. If he imported those blank cartridges that is a no-no too, although there are a number of people in this country offering to sell you pistols and blanks through the post.

Redcat
Dark Skies

#30 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:51 pm
You’re a dick.
'Appen as maybe, but not so much that I make it personal, I'm a notch above that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64400235