Checking velocity in club range

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

Re: Checking velocity in club range

#21 Post by 1066 »

channel12 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:04 pm I have read and re-read your original post and my question is why do you need the MV of every batch you shoot? I don't think I have ever chrono'd my .38spl/.357 loads because I'm shooting at my club's range and once I had a load that gave a good group I didn't the MV. My .223 loads I do chrono to get ballistic data out to 500 yards.
To echo Laurie find the load and bullet that gives you the best group and then chrono that if necessary.
how do you know your loads are within the velocity/energy limits of the club safety certificate?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Graham M

#22 Post by Graham M »

If it's an indoor range they may have a MV limit set.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#23 Post by channel12 »

From OP's posts "I’m using unique with cast bullets with a similar powder charge that’s proven to work well and be within limits. I’m about 30% under the max energy allowed. I’m not going to add anymore powder so I’d be surprised if slight changes are going to put me over the range limits"

That's why I said I had read what he posted.
Jimminy234

#24 Post by Jimminy234 »

Rockhopper wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:53 pm I went to the tunnel range out Ashbourne way, they have a chrono that sits a few feet in front of the barrel, just shoot normally and it prints out your velocity. No idea what kind it was but It worked fine and told me everything I need to know. That’s probably not very helpful to anyone!
This sounds like a great way of doing it. You can use the chrono if you want or just ignore it, I guess it’s something like the Caldwell.
The issue we might have is it would get hit by the electric target retrieval every time you wanted to change targets and you would have to go in front off the firing line to set it up. I’m sure that would be ok when the range is quiet. The disadvantage is we can’t set it up and leave it.
I’ve seen videos where people use a labradar but they are always in a field on their own. Has anyone got experience with using one With someone also stood next to you shooting. I’m guessing it would be useless in that situation or can it be programmed to ignore all the shots that don’t happen in your shooting lane?
Cheers
Alpha1

#25 Post by Alpha1 »

Like I said in a earlier post the yarners have a firing point set up with a chrono you just shoot through and it has electronic pad that shows you how fast your round is traveling. You shoot five rounds through it then move onto another firing point and shot for accuracy. What is so complicated about that.
phaedra1106

#26 Post by phaedra1106 »

Range limts at St.Giles Yarners (25yd indoor) are,

Max Cal .455"
Max MV 1710fps - 521m/s
Max ME 475ftlb - 644 Joules
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)

#27 Post by 1066 »

phaedra1106 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:29 am Range limts at St.Giles Yarners (25yd indoor) are,

Max Cal .455"
Max MV 1710fps - 521m/s
Max ME 475ftlb - 644 Joules
Similar to many indoor ranges I think. That's less than 1,200 fps with a .357 158gn lead bullet and less than 1,000ftps with a 240gn .44 lead bullet. Very easy to exceed with a gallery rifle.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com