Additional restriction on ammunition

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

Re: Additional restriction on ammunition

#21 Post by 1066 »

I've just seen this on the UK reloaders FB page. I don't know anything about it but a worrying trend none the less.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#22 Post by dromia »

And what clearly identified threat to public safety is this meaningless imposition going to address?

How will they demonstrate that reducing the ammunition holdings of legal firearms holders has directly reduced illegal gun related crime?

I will be interested to see what our worthless "National" organisation's rebuff of this is, I do know for certain that it will involve legal gun owners getting a shafting.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#23 Post by bradaz11 »

ok, so what is 22CF? do they mean 223 which is also listed? and what sort of serious target shooter in 22lr is only going to buy 500 rounds at one time. even buying one brick of 500 would not be allowed at that rate unless you had shot every single 22 you possess.
ugh, I see a bad time coming up.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
SevenSixTwo

#24 Post by SevenSixTwo »

I have 2000 rounds on each of six calibres.
"Batch consistency"
"My nearest stockist of the required Milsurp is a 200 mile round trip"

Job done.
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#25 Post by Pippin89 »

bradaz11 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:44 pm and what sort of serious target shooter in 22lr is only going to buy 500 rounds at one time. even buying one brick of 500 would not be allowed at that rate unless you had shot every single 22 you possess.
ugh, I see a bad time coming up.
Someone on the original post made a comment about why you would need more.... I made the point that when you are a serious target shooter who is batch testing ammo, you then have to buy 5000 rounds, so you need to have 6000 on your ticket. And likewise for fullbore ammo, when you are shooting ammo controlled events (e.g. GGG at Bisley) you need to buy enough of the controlled stuff for your practice shoots which is likely 1000 rounds. To the guys credit he didn't continue arguing the toss and accepted my reasoning. Obviously not an FEO then! lol
Blackstuff

#26 Post by Blackstuff »

I still to hear a convincing argument as to why there is a limit on ammunition possession at all (other than the ability to safely store it).

Criminal use of firearms rarely gets into double figures (per event) and AFAIK no mass shooting event here has ever exceeded 200 rounds (although i'm yet to see anything definitive on Hungerford). Other than the possibility of preventing a criminal being able to steal a large quantity of ammo in one go nothing else seems to hold water, and even then they don't seem to have any trouble making their own, or stealing it from RFDs/delivery trucks any????
DVC
SevenSixTwo

#27 Post by SevenSixTwo »

*checks notes

Ryan fired 84 rounds over a period of two hours...

That's 0.7 rounds per minute (negating any sensible argument for a ban on semi auto).

...but I digress.
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
Graham M

#28 Post by Graham M »

The powers that be weren't looking for a rational argument to ban semi auto F/B rifles.......just an excuse.
And Ryan gave them that excuse.
Although why it took the police so long to get their act together is immaterial, and as for the press who actually hindered the search for Ryan, again they weren't interested in catching him, just getting a good story.
And at the end of it all the police, the press and government all joined forces to blame law-abiding gun owners.
And then again at Dunblane where the Scottish police were totally to blame for Hamilton having firearms that should have been confiscated months earlier..........
Need I go on???
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#29 Post by 1066 »

New Zealand and Canada have obviously taken UK as a roll model. I see that Canada have now added the single shot Ruger No 1 rifle to their banned list.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/gun-owner ... 15i0dp5hts

https://www.nssf.org/articles/canada-gu ... ng-months/
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#30 Post by bradaz11 »

Blackstuff wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:30 pm I still to hear a convincing argument ....
you're expecting rational and logical decisions from our government? nothing they do makes sense, they can't even get cars right! oh go to diesel, lower tax as its better, oh wait, no , petrol!, but we won't lower tax, we'll set it at x for everyone, except not if we said it was £20, and electric we'll make free until everyone changes over and we can't make money on tax or fuel, so we'll have to make petrol and diesel more attractive again and tax the hell out of electric.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns