Having 2 clubs shooting different disciplines

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Having 2 clubs shooting different disciplines

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi all.
I have recently joined (actually helped found) a new HOA club. We have our home office approval and all insurance in place and are on the police database. So its time for a variation...
I am currently a member of a long standing rifle club that ONLY shoots .22LR and .308. However, the new club is open to far more stuff.
So, would I need to change my primary club to the new one in order to apply for a variation for firearms other than those shot at my current primary? Or can I keep my current primary and apply for stuff they don't shoot on the basis that I am a member of another club. I have heard conflicting info on this so thought I would ask the wider community. I have also emailed my FEO but assume they are now on leave for Xmas.

Everything I shoot with the current primary is approved for in the new club so wouldn't a huge problem changing my primary but as I am on the committee of my current primary it makes more sense to keep that one there.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Having 2 clubs shooting different disciplines

#2 Post by 20series »

Have a chat with your FEO or the office they will tell you what they want to see, sadly it varies from county to county.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
shotgun sam

#3 Post by shotgun sam »

What is the name of your new club.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

#4 Post by Pinguino »

You shouldn't have to transfer detals on FAC to new club - I shoot multiple types of rifles and pistols but my primary 'reporting club' just does .22 and .308 as yours does. You simply mention this on your variation - or you'll probably be asked by the FEO when he/she contacts you,
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#5 Post by Mattnall »

A HO Club will be approved to shoot one or several 'types', small-bore rifle, full-bore rifle, ML-pistol being the main ones.
If your main club shoots all the 'types' you want then you could leave it as the main one as long as you stay a member. You might find as time goes on that you use the new club more and more and then that will become the main club in practice so should really be the main club on the FAC.

However, there is nothing stopping you from shooting a .38 or .44 gallery rifle (for instance) as a member of your old 22/308-only club as it'll be both a small-bore and full-bore approved club, or even (eg) .303 historic service rifle. You may not be able to shoot it at the club itself but as a member you could enter any of the GR comps and compete. Or even get a target booked at Bisley and shoot what you like there still as a member of your 22/308-only club. When it comes to LBP/R or S1 shotgun there is no approval for these at clubs so shooting away shouldn't be an issue.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#6 Post by shoppe »

I am a member of 2 clubs. I have recently joined a third.
When filling in an application form for a renewal or a variation I simple enter the 3 clubs I am a member of and that's it. No problem, no issue.
All these clubs offer the same shooting.the local police know what these clubs offer.
Cheers
Shoppe
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#7 Post by Pippin89 »

20series wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:03 pm Have a chat with your FEO or the office they will tell you what they want to see, sadly it varies from county to county.

Alan
Yeah, thats what I heard that it varies between counties. I've emailed the FEO but I assume she is gone for xmas.

shotgun sam wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:18 pm What is the name of your new club.
Arundel Rifle and Pistol Club
Mattnall wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:43 pm A HO Club will be approved to shoot one or several 'types', small-bore rifle, full-bore rifle, ML-pistol being the main ones.
If your main club shoots all the 'types' you want then you could leave it as the main one as long as you stay a member. You might find as time goes on that you use the new club more and more and then that will become the main club in practice so should really be the main club on the FAC.

However, there is nothing stopping you from shooting a .38 or .44 gallery rifle (for instance) as a member of your old 22/308-only club as it'll be both a small-bore and full-bore approved club, or even (eg) .303 historic service rifle. You may not be able to shoot it at the club itself but as a member you could enter any of the GR comps and compete. Or even get a target booked at Bisley and shoot what you like there still as a member of your 22/308-only club. When it comes to LBP/R or S1 shotgun there is no approval for these at clubs so shooting away shouldn't be an issue.
Sadly this has come up before and because the club does not book shooting other than disciplines involving .22LR and .308 the FEO's won't approve applications for other calibers under this club.
X2001xr

#8 Post by X2001xr »

It's possible, I used to have an additional condition on my FAC for a gun to be used.

"The [x gun] and ammunition shall be used for target shooting, and only whist a member of [X club], on ranges suitable for the safe us of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangements in place to meet any injury or damage claim"

[x club] was my 2nd or 3rd club and could cater for that discipline.

Edit:
As always it about showing good reason for that slot, Nothing is preventing you from joining yet another HO club(like the NRA which will cover most/all)
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

Pippin89 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:46 am Sadly this has come up before and because the club does not book shooting other than disciplines involving .22LR and .308 the FEO's won't approve applications for other calibers under this club.
That needs to be addressed with the club and the FEO. There is nothing wrong with this.
Some clubs are their own worst enemies and it's a wonder more don't disappear through existing and potential members voting with their feet.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

My main club is the British Western shooting society, but I've never had an issue getting other stuff not suitable for that club. Including my proper handguns. Just put target shooting, X club
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns