Legalities of repairing your own gun

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

JamesBG

Legalities of repairing your own gun

#1 Post by JamesBG »

I have been watching a few Youtube videos of people repairing their own shotguns in the US but there don't seem to be many from the UK. Can we order parts here and repair our own guns?

Thanks
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Legalities of repairing your own gun

#2 Post by dromia »

Yes you can but depending on the nature of the work the gun might require re-proofing before it could be sold on.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
JamesBG

#3 Post by JamesBG »

Thanks, to be honest I have already repaired the gun, its a Winchester Super X 1, bought it for £75 with a few small parts from the gas piston missing and a damaged bolt buffer, spent about £200 on parts from the US, (mostly postage). My reason for posting was that I filmed the repairs and was going to upload to Youtube but thought I had better check first!!
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Also, some parts are simply not available to people who are not RFDs, strikers/firing pins spring to mind. They are however usually easily manufactured with a home lathe and a file or a Dremmel in the absence of anything else.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

I would be leery about posting a video especially as you seem to be uncertain about the legality of your work.

You Tube along with forums such as these are trawled by firearms certification departments as well as by the police.

Some certification departments seem to be looking for anything to have a go at legal firearms holders with.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

JamesBG

#6 Post by JamesBG »

Its more that I wanted to check that a shotgun license holder with their own gun can repair that gun. It didn't cross my mind to be honest until my sister in law said "are you allowed to do that", I assumed that like in the US you can. If there is no legislation against doing so then I will upload it, they are all genuine parts.
dromia
Site Admin

#7 Post by dromia »

Lack of legislation in no way stands in some firearms certification departments way to cause bother for FAC/SGC holders.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Graham M

#8 Post by Graham M »

Ovenpaa wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:32 pm Also, some parts are simply not available to people who are not RFDs, strikers/firing pins spring to mind. They are however usually easily manufactured with a home lathe and a file or a Dremmel in the absence of anything else.
Don't understand that because you can buy shotgun strikers online almost anywhere.

https://www.airgunspares.com/ber-c54832 ... r-bot.html
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I would be very wary of putting any thing on You tube regarding fixing or altering Shot guns or Firearms in the UK.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#10 Post by Pippin89 »

A popular UK Shooting Youtube channel owner had his licence revoked a few years ago which, apparently, came down to comments made by others on his videos. So as above I would be wary of posting anything. As Dromia said, legislation and action by police do not always go hand in hand...