New material for cases? Last forever?

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Site Supporter Since 2015

New material for cases? Last forever?

#1 Post by 1066 »

TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: New material for cases? Last forever?

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Interesting but I can not imagine a case manufacturer wanting to make or sell cases that last forever.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

Still waiting on graphene EVERYTHING after 20 years..... teanews
DVC
Rookandrabbit

#4 Post by Rookandrabbit »

Amazing but I always wonder how they think of melding two or more metals together to produce the best alloy. Even thinking about how much of each constituent metal to add to a mix must take years of development. Some people are very cleaver!

Also didn’t the Americans develop “EVERLASTING” brass cartridge cases for multiple use reloads in the early 1900s, as far as I recall the brass was thicker and the case heavier in construction but gave a reduced velocity due to decreased powder capacity.
RDC

#5 Post by RDC »

Ammunition Making - An Insider's Story, by George E. Frost gives an overview on why cases are made of what they are in Chapter 2.

It's available from numerous sources as a (free) pdf if you use google.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#6 Post by Pete »

Thanks for that.........an interesting read for a chemist :good:

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#7 Post by FredB »

Brass can last virtually for ever of always fired in the same rifle, never re-sized and never crimped. I f you have to crimp, then anneal after every two or three reloads. SIngle shot rifles are best for this. American Schutzen rifle shooters often only use one case, reloading it on the range after each shot.
Fred
Graham M

#8 Post by Graham M »

But I have to trim my brass every so often as it grows with every firing. Surely after a while it will begin to grow so thin it will fail??????
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Rookandrabbit

#9 Post by Rookandrabbit »

FredB wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:46 pm Brass can last virtually for ever of always fired in the same rifle, never re-sized and never crimped. I f you have to crimp, then anneal after every two or three reloads. SIngle shot rifles are best for this. American Schutzen rifle shooters often only use one case, reloading it on the range after each shot.
Fred
Hello Fred I have seen the Americans shooting their competitions using the same cartridge case. I have also seen them using special breach seating tools with them having placed a bullet Into the leade(don’t know if that is the right spelling ?) They also seal the powder into the case so it won’t leak out.

But I think our American friends have better weather especially when you see them using this technique on the tube.
Shpagin

#10 Post by Shpagin »

Alpha1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:50 pm Interesting but I can not imagine a case manufacturer wanting to make or sell cases that last forever.
classic case of The Man in the White Suit. I agree completely