Tikka M595 bolt disassembly

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1

Re: Tikka M595 bolt disassembly

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

I used a disc as you said It has a hole in the centre and a slot cut in it. The hole isn't tapered though I guess that was a mistake. Using the disc I was able to easily remove the firing pin assembly. The whole thing is pretty gunged up. After I have cleaned everything I will attempt to put it back together. Is the taper so you can reassemble it if so I will have to make another one. Were did you get the factory tool. Any chance of a picture.

To day was a Shed day. I spent the day on the lathe once I remembered were I had stashed the taps and drills I drilled and tapped a batch of cases for use with my Shooting Shed cartridge over all length gauge. I also have the Sheds comparator set and shoulder bump gauge for this calibre. So I think I am ready to make a start.
No rush I have other projects on the go that I need to get on top of. Not enough hours in the day. I will probably spend to morrow in there as well.
Ovenpaa

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

A take a picture. I have nothing Shed wise, none of the items you mention. Even Mt 6.5x47 bump gauge went a while ago as did the carbon fibre OAL gauges. Good job I have no plans to shoot again.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

No worries I am fairly sure I have worked out how the tool works making one is straight forward probably an hours work.
Its a shame the Shiny stuff wont be available I have a bucket load of your gauges in all sorts of calibres and use them every day. I could of done with a few more.
A Meplat trimmer was on my wish list but I suppose I could try and make one my self.
I wish you and Christel well for the future what ever you decide to do next.
To morrow is paid work I have orders to fill they will be going to the USA.
I have vacuum chambers and pressure pots to modify for a business venture with my Son and Daughter in law. Busy busy Busy.
The Gun Pimp

#14 Post by The Gun Pimp »

We all fell for meplat trimmers about 15 years ago - mine's in a box with my meplat pointer, my moly-coating kit and my ultrasonic cleaner.
Alpha1

#15 Post by Alpha1 »

The Gun Pimp wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:11 pm We all fell for meplat trimmers about 15 years ago - mine's in a box with my meplat pointer, my moly-coating kit and my ultrasonic cleaner.
Ok I guess there is no rush to build a Meplat trimmer then. I was never into moly coating and I don't have any time for ultrasonic cleaners for brass.
I had another look at the bolt disassembly disc I used it removed the bolt assembly firing pin easily and I reckon if it had a taper on it I would be able to use it to re assemble the bolt and firing pin.
So I need one with a taper on it.
Alpha1

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

Its definitely a TIKKA M55 not a 595 as I originally thought. ( Thanks Pete )
I did some measuring with a once fired drilled and tapped case using a Lapua Scenar 139grain bullet. This is the bullet I would normally use in this Calibre.
I now know what the issue is.
Alpha1

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

I am in work to morrow proper work paid for not Shed stuff. I will be taking the bolt in to have the firing pin and spring completely dismantled chemically cleaned and the firing pin and bolt reassembled.
I will be having a conversation with the Guys in the machine Shop to confirm my findings and discuss whats my next move.
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

Ovenpaa wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:14 pm I have the tools here for de-cocking/pulling these bolts part, both factory and shed made, just a round disk about 1/2" deep by 3.5" diameter with a tapered hole and slot cut in the middle. You can soon make one with just a lathe and a three jaw, even the slotting can be done on the lathe. Nylon or 6082 work.
If you have the tools as you say for de/cocking pulling these bolts apart, both factory and Shed made I would like to buy them off you.
Ovenpaa

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

I will post pictures if you wish but they are not for sale
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

Ovenpaa wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:24 am I will post pictures if you wish but they are not for sale
Ok no worries.