red dot and holographic sights

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

paul mercer
Home club or Range: Tavistock Miniature rifle club

red dot and holographic sights

#1 Post by paul mercer »

I'm thinking about putting a holographic sight on my Ruger 10/22, I've read as much as I can on Google about them but am still not sure how they adjust themselves for change of range - say from 20 yards to 100yards without being altered like conventional telescopic sight, does the recital (or dot) stay where the barrel is pointing at any range?
Has anyone got experience of using these on a 10/22?
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: red dot and holographic sights

#2 Post by Mattnall »

We use cheap versions on some of our semi-autos, but these are only for shooting at 25yds and often at steels so precision is secondary to accuracy. Having said that some can still get good groups in the middle of the target using them.
They are set for a distance just like a normal cross-hair. Some have a reticule that allows for holdover for another range but generally they are not adjustable quickly for range (other than for zeroing).
Generally they are a short range, point-n-shoot sighting aid and not really for precision. There may be one or two sights that allow for a BDC type adjustment but really if that is what you want get a low powered scope with an illuminated reticule.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

you don't, you zero them at a range you want, then compensate for different ranges. some calibers maintain a flatter trajectory so the zero can be used at more ranges. but for things like a 22, for practical type courses, you zero at a middle of engagement distances, aim high for far away, low for closest.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

As said above, they're not meant for long range or precision so you don't adjust them while shooting. You set them at a known zeroed distance and then adjust your point of aim from there. Just as a correction to the above, you must shoot high for very close targets to compensate for the height of the sight over the bore of the rifle, you normally shoot dead-on or high with a red dot but there are exceptions.

Most shooting with a red dot/holographic is done at 5-50m, although its relatively easy to push out to 100m for target shooting and 300m for minute-of-man type shooting. Some red dots do have BDCs in them such as the Holosun/Primary Arms range with the ACSS reticle. This is meant for 5.56mm rifles normally with holds for 200 and 300 metres.

The type of shooting you're doing should dictate the type of optic (or not) you use.
DVC
paul mercer
Home club or Range: Tavistock Miniature rifle club

#5 Post by paul mercer »

Many thanks for your replies, it certainly gives me something to think about!
Fenix1

#6 Post by Fenix1 »

I opted for a low mag scope on top of my .22, with a red dot on a side mount for close in. Haven't shot it in a timed comp yet. Good fun combo and didn't cost a fortune. I did try some other options including a flip out magnifier, but that doesn't get round wanting more than one zero point. Some competition shooters use something like an Eotech holo sight, they have a reticule like the ACSS mentioned above, but that's more £££
Fenix1

#7 Post by Fenix1 »

On the holo sight front, I have just fitted an Eotech to my Kriss .22

Before. £50 scope and a red dot on 45 degree mount.

After Eotech and magnifier

The Eotech came from https://rpisupplies.co.uk/ they have some ex police optics on there.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#8 Post by Airbrush »

Good choice. 👍
Adamdavi3s
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers

#9 Post by Adamdavi3s »

I find something like the falcon s8i works, it’s a 1-8x scope with an illuminated Centre dot, LPVO is the best of both worlds in my humble opinion
BLZeebub

#10 Post by BLZeebub »

I've got similar to Fenix1 with a flip to side 3x magnifier - also on a Kriss. I have used the Eotech up to 100yds but its not what it's set up for now as it's for Mini Rifle now. Having astigmatisms, a lot of red dots don't work well but the Eotech is fine.

For 100yds i swap to a standard scope.

B-)