Matched pair shotguns

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Matched pair shotguns

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Do we have any forum members shooting true matched and numbered pairs of shotguns and if so, what have you got? :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

Re: Matched pair shotguns

#2 Post by JS569 »

I personally don't, but a few people on our syndicate do, only ever bringing one gun as a big day for us about 20 birds! They tend to be family heirlooms so relatively short barrelled (26' or 28")s/s Purdeys, Hollands and I want to say I've spotted a Cogswell(?) and Harrison.

I always think the gold inlayed gun number on the rib looks smart.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I shoot/shot a pair of 30" 2.75" chambered Cogswell & Harrison's choked 1/4 & 1/2 on the No1 and 3/4 & Full on the No2. I only really take the No1 for syndicate use and seldom use the back trigger. Mine were collected on July 19th 1913 by a Mr Gillham from New Bond Street and are beautiful and as close to original as you could hope to get.

Deep down I suspect I have shot them for the last time. A move, buggered eye and impending lead ban have seen to that. As the custodian of them is it wrong to say I still love them dearly :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Polchraine

#4 Post by Polchraine »

I had a late friend up in Scotland who had a very well made round bodied and I believe number 2 of a pair. He occasionally searched for No.1 and finally found it in the USA and spoke with te owner in te possible hope of buying it - from memory the US owner made a silly, very high, counter offer to buy my friends gun - in perfect condition though, so it finally went to the US and reunited.

I also shot (and still occasionally do) with a couple who owned a sequentially number pair - cannot really say matched, even though te stocks were: his was a 12 and hers a 20. Looked identical apart from size!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I used to work on a numbered pair of SxS single mechanical trigger Woodwards a few years ago, they were fun as the triggers are quite flaky, a bit like the single trigger Avant Tout's of the same era. Always interesting to regulate and set the triggers.

I also had a very unusual turn of the century side lock Westley Richards (No1 gun) in for some work earlier this year. It went from "In your own time old chap" to "Wahhh I need it now" Luckily it was finished. Turned out the passenger in the expensive looking blacked out window Overfinch had the No2 gun....
/d

Shed Journal
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

so what exactly is the difference in the guns? remember I don't shoot clays or birds at all. what makes one a no1 and how is it different from the 2?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Polchraine

#7 Post by Polchraine »

bradaz11 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:41 pm so what exactly is the difference in the guns? remember I don't shoot clays or birds at all. what makes one a no1 and how is it different from the 2?
Tends to only be the choking - or sometimes not. It was a sign of success/wealth to have a matching pair of SxS, you would have one and your loader the second and you quickly switch between you and it allows you to shoot are a greater number of birds with no need to relaod your self. Some people would have one gun with "open chokes" and the other with "tight chokes" giving a choice on which they wanted for specific targets/birds.

A good gunsmith will have made both to be exactly the same weight, point of balance, aim, pull weight &c - on a high quality pair, for lessser quality you would find variation.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Even after near 110 years my two are identical in balance and within a couple of mm on drop and cast which I think is exceptional as they are just London guns. Even the trigger pulls are as close to identical as I can measure. I seldom missed with them.
/d

Shed Journal
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#9 Post by DanTheMan »

Was listening to the Holts auction today, their matching pair shotguns were selling for very strong prices, many were way over estimate !
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

Ovenpaa wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:13 pm Even after near 110 years my two are identical in balance and within a couple of mm on drop and cast which I think is exceptional as they are just London guns. Even the trigger pulls are as close to identical as I can measure. I seldom missed with them.
no wonder you only shoot one, I can't see Christel being your batman
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns