Bipod investment consideration

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

dirtbag

Re: Bipod investment consideration

#11 Post by dirtbag »

Cornish-Viking wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:00 pm Ive got the Ascu-Tac HD-50. So solid.
I was looking at that. I have a picatinny bottom rail on the EBR stock , and I like the idea of being able to fold up (because I am lazy).
Graham M

#12 Post by Graham M »

Sorry but £400 for a bipod is absolutely insane. I don't use them anymore because most of my shooting is either .22 prone match rifle using a sling, or I shoot off sticks because I ain't lying down in a muddy field anymore. Used to use one years ago but it was a cheap and cheerful Chinese knock-off which served its purpose out in the field for foxes on rabbits. How a £400 bipod would have made any difference is daft to even think about, because it would have done the same but cost 20X as much.
I suppose those doing precision target work would want a good bipod, but £400..............jeeze!!!!!
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Lancs Lad
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#13 Post by Lancs Lad »

I used a genuine Harris bipod on my rifle for a few years and I'd have to say that it was rock solid in build.
It was so solid in fact that despite my best efforts, I could never really tame the muzzle jump on firing, which always had a negative effect on my score.

On looking around for a possible replacement, I finally decided on a Tier One Tactical bipod.
On fitting the Tier One, I noticed almost immediately that there was a slight amount of movement fore & aft on the legs when deployed, where on the Harris, there was none.
This movement concerned me initially, but on the firing point I found that this slight movement from the Tier One allowed me to properly pre-load the bipod and this immediately produced better results.
The more I use it, the more I can fine-tune my pre-load and improve my shooting.

The legs can be adjusted for length as necessary and there is a swivel / tilt facility depending on the model you select. Legs can be fitted with a variety of feet to suit the ground / surface conditions and they are easily interchangeable. The legs fold up at the flick of a switch.
These bipods retail at around double the price of a Harris. Whether or not you can justify that kind of money for a bipod depends entirely on what disciplines you shoot, but it definitely has improved my scores.

Just my opinion as a user of course and your mileage may vary.

:flag13: LL
dirtbag

#14 Post by dirtbag »

Lancs Lad wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:09 am I used a genuine Harris bipod on my rifle for a few years and I'd have to say that it was rock solid in build.
It was so solid in fact that despite my best efforts, I could never really tame the muzzle jump on firing, which always had a negative effect on my score.

On looking around for a possible replacement, I finally decided on a Tier One Tactical bipod.
On fitting the Tier One, I noticed almost immediately that there was a slight amount of movement fore & aft on the legs when deployed, where on the Harris, there was none.
This movement concerned me initially, but on the firing point I found that this slight movement from the Tier One allowed me to properly pre-load the bipod and this immediately produced better results.
The more I use it, the more I can fine-tune my pre-load and improve my shooting.

The legs can be adjusted for length as necessary and there is a swivel / tilt facility depending on the model you select. Legs can be fitted with a variety of feet to suit the ground / surface conditions and they are easily interchangeable. The legs fold up at the flick of a switch.
These bipods retail at around double the price of a Harris. Whether or not you can justify that kind of money for a bipod depends entirely on what disciplines you shoot, but it definitely has improved my scores.

Just my opinion as a user of course and your mileage may vary.

Hi thanks for the advice.

https://deercentral.co.uk/product/tier- ... cal-bipod/

Just checking that this is the one. Lots of good reviews
Lancs Lad
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#15 Post by Lancs Lad »

I can confirm that the link that you posted does indeed refer to the Tier One Tactical bipod which I now use.

dirtbag

#16 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks all for the advice and help. Looking at lots of videos and reviews, as well as this forum. I have gone for the Ascu-Tac HD-50.
dirtbag

#17 Post by dirtbag »

Update : Straight out of the box this is a lump (heavy) and well made. Goes nicely to the EBR chassis. This thing doesn't move , so solid and tight. Nice wide spread with legs fully extended. Easy to deploy and retract legs. The only downside is the price, which I am sure I will get over after a few shots...
Attachments
IMG_20221221_1758063.jpg
IMG_20221221_1757305.jpg
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#18 Post by Pete »

Barrel looks a bit thin for medium/heavy.....

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dirtbag

#19 Post by dirtbag »

I asked the same question some time back, but had LDT (the makers) confirm Medium-Heavy. They also showed me the "standard" and it has skinnyer mid section. The visible part at the front is the same.
Attachments
IMG_20220425_1941299.jpg
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#20 Post by Pete »

How does it shoot, (assuming you've tried it...)?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....