.36 or .44 for target shooting

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

NBW

.36 or .44 for target shooting

#1 Post by NBW »

What do the experienced revolver shooters think , .36 or .44 for target shooting?
Or is neither one or the other better?
Opinions please.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: .36 or .44 for target shooting

#2 Post by 1066 »

I depends how serious you want to be. I have a .36 Le Page dueling pistol with a set trigger that shoots very well. I also have a .32 Zylab Patriot 5 shot target pistol that shoots very well and a .357 Westlake nitro muzzle loader that also shoots well. For over 30 years I had an Italian .44 1858 Remington that shot well too.

Once you find the right load, most of them are accurate - it's the pistol shooting bit that's hard work (Unless you are thinking of doing some girly two handed optical sight shooting)

My .357 Alfa Westlake and 6 shot group, shot at 20 yds with open sights from a sandbag.
ImageImageImage

1858 Rem .44

.32 Patriot and 5 shot group, one hand standing, open sights, 20 yds.
ImageImage

.36 Le page
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#3 Post by poll007 »

If you plan on competing i would lean towards a .44
The reason being that most pistol comps are inward scoring so the larger bullet means your more likely to cross the line and get a slightly better score.

On the flip side can be cheaper as you use less lead and powder.

I went down the .36 route for historical accuracy with the gun I chose.

I wouldn't say either is any more accurate. you just need to find the right load in your gun.

Generally .44 seems to be more popular for revolvers so you can probably pick up the gun a bit cheaper and accessories and components slightly easier.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Depends on the scoring system being used, inward .44", outward .36".

My preference is for the .36". The round ball likes to be driven hard, the .36" does it with less recoil than the .44".

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

I use a fairly light load in my Ruger Old Army .45 (the Rolls Royce of BP revolvers in my opinion). I cast my own conical bullets for that and double stack homemade waxed wads to bring the bullet flush to the top of the cylinder. It has the advantage of leaving a large ragged hole, which can play in your favour in breaking the lines on targets when scoring.
Furthermore, I favour an enlarged grip for a better purchase.

When shooting my .36 I use balls and stuff as much BP in as I can get to bring them flush with the cylinder. As dromia says, they like being pushed hard. I tried lighter loads, reasoning the less recoil would make for more accurate shooting. However, I found it actually led to a wider grouping. Again, I favour a larger grip, so I swapped out the Navy grips for the larger .44 Army grips.
Attachments
Bang.jpg
photo_2020-09-25_14-05-25.jpg
Last edited by Dark Skies on Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."

#6 Post by 1066 »

I've not done any serious competitions with muzzle loaders for a good while, but I thought, shooting the usual UK routine (British Pistol Club) was 13 shots in 30 minutes with the best 10 to count. Scoring, if I remember correctly was 50% over the line to count for higher score, to eliminate any advantage of using a larger calibre.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com

#7 Post by 1066 »

Dark Skies wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:00 pm I use a fairly light load in my Ruger Old Army .45 (the Rolls Royce of BP revolvers in my opinion). I cast my own conical bullets for that and double stack homemade waxed wads to bring the bullet flush to the top of the cylinder. It has the advantage of leaving a large ragged hole, which can play in your favour in breaking the lines on targets when scoring.

When shooting my .36 I use balls and stuff as much BP in as I can get to bring them flush with the cylinder. As dromia says, they like being pushed hard. I tried lighter loads, reasoning the less recoil would make for more accurate shooting. However, I found it actually led to a wider grouping. Again, I favour a larger grip, so I swapped out the Navy grips for the larger .44 Army grips.
Thats a nice target? 20yds one hand?
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Dark Skies

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

1066 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:03 pm
Dark Skies wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:00 pm I use a fairly light load in my Ruger Old Army .45 (the Rolls Royce of BP revolvers in my opinion). I cast my own conical bullets for that and double stack homemade waxed wads to bring the bullet flush to the top of the cylinder. It has the advantage of leaving a large ragged hole, which can play in your favour in breaking the lines on targets when scoring.

Thats a nice target? 20yds one hand?
Yes. Every now and then you get that one special target. "I'm better when I move."
Sadly, it is just a shoot n see rather than a competition target. I prefer them for practice because once my eye is in I don't like to break my stance to peep through a spotting scope.

#9 Post by 1066 »

[/quote]

Yes. Every now and then you get that one special target. "I'm better when I move."
Sadly, it is just a shoot n see rather than a competition target. I prefer them for practice because once my eye is in I don't like to break my stance to peep through a spotting scope.
[/quote]

Very nice indeed though. Unfortunately I think my "special target" days are well behind me now. I do have one or two nice targets but none very recent.

Here's one from a long time ago I'm pleased with. Shot one hand, open sights, 20 yds on a PL14 with a Browning match 150 with Bowler grips.

TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
Dark Skies

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

1066 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:44 pm
[/quote]

Very nice indeed though. Unfortunately I think my "special target" days are well behind me now. I do have one or two nice targets but none very recent.

Here's one from a long time ago I'm pleased with. Shot one hand, open sights, 20 yds on a PL14 with a Browning match 150 with Bowler grips.

[/quote]

Nicely shot.
To be honest I hover around the 79 > 87 mark for the most part. But every now and then everything comes together, and I get a high 90 with the odd possible on the side. And you can bet I take a photo of that! :)