Please can some clarify ‘empty slot’ is on a FAC.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

Please can some clarify ‘empty slot’ is on a FAC.

#1 Post by Itskeith »

Hi,

I’m still hoping to visit a shooting club before Christmas, after we have moved to the South West.

I’m still busy here convalescing and reading up as much as I can, which has raised a few questions (to say the least). Here is one of them that I’m hoping you can help me with. I know this is a bit running before you can walk, but I am curious …

Question: Please can some clarify ‘empty slot’ on a FAC?

I keep reading about an FAC having an ‘empty slot’.

I’m guessing that this is an allocation on a FAC which has been granted and not yet been filled, but where the calibre has already been specified?

As opposed to the calibre is also empty and you can choose anything to fill that slot.

I know that is pretty unlikely and just wishful thinking, but boy would it makes things easier!

Thanks in anticipation,
Keith
The Gun Pimp

Re: Please can some clarify ‘empty slot’ is on a FAC.

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

When you apply for your FAC you will probably list at least five firearms you wish to acquire over the life of the certificate. The firearms you don't acquire will be 'empty slots' - until you fill them. You can apply for a (free) variation to swap an empty slot for another calibre you may now wish to acquire but hadn't thought of it before.
Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

#3 Post by Itskeith »

Thanks Gun Pimp - good to know.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

The full term would be "an empty <insert calibre> slot." You are correct that the slot cannot be 'fully' empty i.e. you can have a slot for any type calibre.

Some permissive FLDs allow slots like '.30 calibre rifle', and would allow you acquire a .308Win, .30-06, 7.62x54R etc rifle of any legal action type (e.g. break action, bolt-action, lever-action). Such FLDs are extremely rare in my experience though. Mine not only requires you to designate the specific CARTRIDGE (not just calibre) AND the action type of the firearm, e.g. 7.62x39mm straight-pull rifle
DVC
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

Also worth remembering that moderators also need a slot and can also be used for a 1 for 1 variation. So you could in theory do a 1 for 1 from a .22LR moderator for a .50BMG rifle. I.e. when you apply add some mods on there too so they are there for free variations in the future.