Reloading 8x56R

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
PeterN

Reloading 8x56R

#1 Post by PeterN »

When I realised the military 8x56R cases would just fit in the Wamadet hydraulic decapper, I decided to have a go at reloading a few of them. I have several hundred spent cases and also a few hundred rounds of Bulgarian military ammunition so I don’t really need to reload this calibre, but I thought I would do a few anyway. They only just fit the decapper, I had to push them in and pull them out to get them past the O ring. They decapped easily, much the same as the GP11 Swiss cases. I measured the spent primer to check that they weren’t some obscure Bulgarian size. They measured about 0.216 wide and 0.1 deep so they are standard size Berdan primers that are 0.217. That is the same measurements as the RWS 5620 primer. The No.81 Berdan primer is a little deeper, measuring about 0.114 deep. I primed a case with the RWS 5620 primer and one with the No.81 Berdan primer to check they fit OK which they did, both seating a little below the case head.
I have some 0.330 lead bullets that I have had for a few years and never got around to reloading as I have a good supply of original ammunition. I decided to load a few of those. I also have some PPU 0.330 208 grain jacketed bullets. I will leave those for another time. I used my NDFS dies to size the cases and the 0.329 expander for the neck as a separate operation. I bought the dies in 1993 but have hardly used them. I bought 20 Bertram cases before the military ammunition became available and reloaded those a couple of times.
So, cases primed with No.81 Berdan primers, a charge of Alliant 2400 and a lead bullet and off to the range. The rifle shoots very high with the military ammunition. I was shooting at 100 yards. I was shooting at a PL7 50 metre pistol target as it is nice and big. I took a six o’clock hold and fired. Nothing on the target. Maybe high, so I lowered the aim and fired again. Nothing on the target again. On the range, we have a plastic milk jug sat on the sand between targets so people can check fall of shot. I fired at that. Eighteen inches low was the answer. So, sight changed from the 300 yard notch to the 500 yard notch and fired again. The round hit the card in the 4 ring to the left so all is good. A little aim adjustment and I fired the remaining 22 rounds. I was quite pleased with the result. A 40+ year old primer in an 82 year old case sending a bullet up a 105 year old barrel, all aimed using the issue sight guided by 70+ year old eyes. Someone with better eyes would likely tighten up the group. It was very pleasant to shoot, much nicer than the bump from the military ammunition.

The case heads. From the left an original unfired round, a fired round, a decapped case, a case primed with a No.81 and a case primed with RWS5620.
Cartridge heads 2.jpg
The bullets I used. I have had them a while judging by the phone number.
Cast bullets.jpg
The target. The first shot was the one in the 4 ring to the left.
Target 8x56R cast bullet.jpg
I forgot to take a picture of the loaded round. All in all, a pleasant experience.
Regards
Peter.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Reloading 8x56R

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

Interesting.
I met Colin and his missus many years ago at his home. His huge dogs were gorgeous.
It was his little business that motivated me to get into casting boolits for others. I only swaged 38 HBWC for my own use.
He was good friends with Jim Godwin of NDFS fame. Another interesting man.
Regarding the ammo, were the original loadings primed with mercuric primers?
What powder do you use? I'd guess 5744 or 2400?
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
PeterN

#3 Post by PeterN »

I don't know what type of primers are in the ammunition. I assume corrosive and clean accordingly. I used Alliant 2400 powder. I used what is often termed the 'universal' load of 2400 for this type of cartridge with cast bullets. I didn't want to quote the exact load in case I fell foul of the rules on powder charges. It falls within the Lyman data for .303 and similar cartridges and I have used this load in .303. It worked well and I don't plan on changing it. I will be having a go at loading 8x50R with the same bullets and charge but that is for another day.
Regards
Peter.
jjvc

#4 Post by jjvc »

An interesting write up Peter, thank you for sharing. I have stacks of those military cases myself.
Regards
Joe
spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

#5 Post by spikedueller »

An interesting read Peter, have you tried the Lee mould at all? It has a bit of an odd shape but is 205 grains gas checked. I bought one as I wanted to try some cast bullets in my .318WR which has a .330" bore but I also picked up a random CBE mould that throws a 210 grain gas check or a 193 grain plain based bullet. I will look up some 2400 loadings as I'm down to my last IMR 4198 so that's a very useful pointer.
Mike
dave_303

#6 Post by dave_303 »

Peter, know anywhere that still has the Bulgarian surplus? I have a M95/30 (used to be sandgroper's) I jave some cases and about 150 surplus round left. I've found they shoot really well and if I could get more I would
PeterN

#7 Post by PeterN »

It is a long time since I last bought any of the surplus 8x56R. I used to buy it from Gunshop in Barnet. He had a source for it but I assume it is all sold now. I bought up to my limit of 1000 rounds and have been slowly using it up. I did buy 300 assorted loose rounds from York Guns that he said he bought by mistake, but the owner has now retired and closed the shop. After I use up my factory stuff, it will be reloading only.
Regards
Peter.
http://gunshop-eb.com/
dave_303

#8 Post by dave_303 »

Thanks Peter, I'll give the Barnet shop a shout