cast bullets for a Lee Enfield no4

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Paul101
Home club or Range: Kings Lynn & St. Michael's R&P club + The Grove

cast bullets for a Lee Enfield no4

#1 Post by Paul101 »

Do’s anyone use the Lee 7.62x39 160gr cast bullet in their no4 or do you all prefer the Lee .303B 185gr cast bullet.
Both are .312 sized and I’m only looking for a plinking bullet for 100m range and that’s a waste of jacketed bullets.
I already cast 45-70 and .357mag bullets, so it’s just a choice of molds.
Thank you
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: cast bullets for a Lee Enfield no4

#2 Post by dromia »

The Lees are usually too under sized to be really effective in the 303.

Your bullet should be at least 2 thou over groove diameter so you need to know your bore/groove/freebore diameters and then what the Lee moulds actually drop bullets with an appropriate alloy - pure lead with 1-2% tin.

Interesting that Lee's mould tolerance is minus 3 thou so a nominal 312 mould could drop a .309 bullet and still be within Lees tolerances, also the tolerance is under nominal diameter never over.

I would recommend a look at NOE's mould range.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

NOE Bullet moulds is the way to go far superior to the Lee offerings and lots more choice of bullet type and weights.
Paul101
Home club or Range: Kings Lynn & St. Michael's R&P club + The Grove

#4 Post by Paul101 »

I’ll have a look at NOE, do they have a Uk importer?
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

NOE post to the UK.
ukrifleman

#6 Post by ukrifleman »

I would go with the 185gn for a No4.

My 2 cavity mould drops at .312 , but you can always beagle it to add a couple of thou to the diameter if required.

Krank have a 2 cavity in stock for around £40.

NOE moulds are great, but getting stuff direct from the USA can be frustrating and expensive.

The last item I bought from the USA (Grip-N-Pull bullet puller) was held up for 6 weeks by UK customs and the additional UK charges hiked the original purchase price by nearly 75%.
Not a happy experience!

ukrifleman
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Despite the convenience and desirability of purchasing in the UK there is no guarantee, and a high unlikelyhood that the next Lee mould will drop at 0.312, which can be a marginal bullet diameter for many Lee Enfield .303" bores.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#8 Post by dodgyrog »

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/

I have a lot of their moulds.
316299 is the one I use for .303 British. Sized to .316 and gas checked (Gator checks are sold by NOE). Use a good lube on the boolits and don't cast them rock hard. Powder choice (for me at least) is Alliant 2400
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Buying any make of mould is a waste of money if you assume that .312 is going to work in your rifle.
Before you buy a mould you need to slug your bore so you know what size is going to work in your rifle not all Lee Enfield's are a standard .312. This applies to any rifle not just Enfield's. A chamber cast is also a good indication.
(As recommended by Adam (Dromia.)
PeterN

#10 Post by PeterN »

I bought 100 bullets many moons ago that were marked up as 316299 sized to .315. I have no idea who I bought them from as there is no name on the box. I have just loaded 50 for my long Lee Metford. I have not shot any yet. Hopefully they will be OK. I have loaded the cases with a charge of 2400.
303 cast bullets.jpg
Regards
Peter.