Basc report on licensing department performance

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

Basc report on licensing department performance

#1 Post by phaedra1106 »

BASC have published their report into the current state of firearms licensing departments.

https://basc.org.uk/firearms-licensing- ... -failures/

Having read it as far as my local department are concerned it's complete rubbish.

They are reporting Durham as having 14 staff with a renewal time of 88 days lol

From what I've been told there are only 2 staff and a manager in the office, at least one of them only works 2 days a week. There's one full time FEO and another who is retiring.

My club members are all reporting renewal times of 6 to 9 months and some even longer, my own renewal submitted at the end of 2020 took 7 months.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Basc report on licensing department performance

#2 Post by dromia »

BASC are as anti legal gun ownership as the NRA, Chris Packham, the Police and the Home Office.

Therefore I lay no credence whatsoever on any thing they say or publish.

Obviously they asked the police rather than their members.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

That certainly is a work of fiction. It has Kent down for 31 staff and 59 days for a grant - we have a chap at our club with a perfectly straight forward application for a grant for a .22lr target rifle. it's been 4-5 months so far.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
MistAgain

#4 Post by MistAgain »

Just on costs alone , we should all be asking our Police Commissioners why their forces are charging that much .
If Humberside can issue a cert for £42.00 , why is it costing my force £300.00 ?

Years back when one of the big accounting firms was allowed to do a full breakdown of costs , they found that one force was charging for use of the carpet in the police HQ .
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by Pete »

Like I said so many times, we need one national police force, not a bunch of "county sheriffs"......... :run:

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
MistAgain

#6 Post by MistAgain »

Pete wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:20 pm Like I said so many times, we need one national police force, not a bunch of "county sheriffs"......... :run:

Pete
Not a good idea .

Whats the best result we could expect from a national police force ?
We know the police want a fully funded by shooters certificate . But they might settle for an average plus on current charges .

And time taken to issue a cert could again be average plus .

A national police force would in my opinion allow groups like FELWEG and others to set the rules that they want .

At least now we can say to our police commissoners force xxx is doing a half decent job , why isnt your force getting even close ?
Pete
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Pete »

With one force and a centralised online database, the admin costs would be far lower, (they're already combining firearms admin between forces in some areas, including mine).
In addition, there would be one procedure for all to follow, not this postcode lottery nonsense that we have currently.
Surely that alone would be an improvement...

Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....

#8 Post by 1066 »

MistAgain wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:12 am Just on costs alone , we should all be asking our Police Commissioners why their forces are charging that much .
If Humberside can issue a cert for £42.00 , why is it costing my force £300.00 ?

Years back when one of the big accounting firms was allowed to do a full breakdown of costs , they found that one force was charging for use of the carpet in the police HQ .
This discrepancy of costs was well investigated way back in the 1970's by Colin Greenwood in his book on firearms control. Colin Greenwood was a very well respected Ex police superintendent and editor of "Guns Review"

Certainly an enlightening read on the subject of UK gun control and although published 50 years ago is still relevant today.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Blackstuff

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

MistAgain wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:02 pm
Whats the best result we could expect from a national police force ?
We know the police want a fully funded by shooters certificate . But they might settle for an average plus on current charges .
They already have full cost recovery ability on the books. It was brought in after the 'shake up' following the Cumbrian shootings. They pulled the current figures out of the air with the promise that the significant increase in funding would be used to streamline the FLDs, primarily by getting the whole process made digital. That was in 2010. It wasn't until last year that my FLD was able to take card payments. 2021 and only just able to handle anything other than a cheque FGS!!! troutslapping

What actually happened, as always does with public sector bodies, is that the extra money got put into the central pot and once the dust had settled following the shootings, the money was 'redirected' to other more pressing needs. Considering we have full-cost recovery on the books its frankly shocking that the fees haven't been getting bumped up every year, but it probably just tells you everything you need to know about how the Chief Constables/PCCs prioritise/think about their FLDs
DVC
Pete
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Pete »

I read some of these accounts with surprise........I've never had a problem with my FLD. My last renewal online worked fine.
I applied when asked (max of 16 weeks before expiry), the GP emailed the medcert straight to the office (for 20 squid), and the FAC dropped through the letterbox a week or two before expiry.

Pete