What`s the latest news on the lead ban

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

What`s the latest news on the lead ban

#1 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
All seems quite on the lead ban, what`s the news my interest is the FMJs that I use in my military collection, 22s. and lead casting.
I was speaking today with a game stalker and his news was that many places "Forestry commission" for one are insisting on only copper bullets and only new manufacturers ammunition no reloads being allowed. He also said that the factory copper ammunition did not perform very well in his 6.5mm because of the reduced bullet weights.
Blackstuff

Re: What`s the latest news on the lead ban

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

Its still in the 'consultation' period til the end of the year AFAIK so nothing will be happening until thats finished. Then they'll ignore all the evidence and do what they wanted to do in the first place.
DVC
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#3 Post by Mauserbill »

Blackstuff wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:32 am Its still in the 'consultation' period til the end of the year AFAIK so nothing will be happening until thats finished. Then they'll ignore all the evidence and do what they wanted to do in the first place.
Sounds about right ! I really fear for the continuation of our shooting sports if this go's ahead in its reported form.......
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

If you takes part in the HSE online consultation, oomans, think carefully when you answer their question about the 'buy back / compensation' scheme. The concept of natural justice would suggest that if lead is banned, then any buy back scheme ought to replace the lead projectiles on a one for one basis with a material from which new, equally well performing, projectiles can be made. Or, of course, the funds required to purchase said material. Now, for a bullet, one requires a material that is dense for ballistic efficiency, possesses a near zero coefficient of restitution so as to negate ricochets and bounce back, is easily formed to shape, is easily deformed into the rifling of a rifle or obturates a smooth bore, doesn't damage the Damascus barrel of a fine shotgun and is less toxic than lead. If it has an inherent value so as to encourage recovery and recycling then so much the better. A look at the periodic table (you don't even need a PhD in metallurgy for this) will show there is only one metal that meets all these requirements.

Gold.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Blackstuff

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

That wouldn't be that much different to the price of tungsten if the shotgun cartridge price is anything to go by but I like your thinking! :D
DVC
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

meles meles wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:20 pm If you takes part in the HSE online consultation, oomans, think carefully when you answer their question about the 'buy back / compensation' scheme. The concept of natural justice would suggest that if lead is banned, then any buy back scheme ought to replace the lead projectiles on a one for one basis with a material from which new, equally well performing, projectiles can be made. Or, of course, the funds required to purchase said material. Now, for a bullet, one requires a material that is dense for ballistic efficiency, possesses a near zero coefficient of restitution so as to negate ricochets and bounce back, is easily formed to shape, is easily deformed into the rifling of a rifle or obturates a smooth bore, doesn't damage the Damascus barrel of a fine shotgun and is less toxic than lead. If it has an inherent value so as to encourage recovery and recycling then so much the better. A look at the periodic table (you don't even need a PhD in metallurgy for this) will show there is only one metal that meets all these requirements.

Gold.
There are a few more that come close, but they all have their own problems.

Copper - Not quite as expensive as gold but close.
Sodium - Explodes when it gets wet.
Caesium - Melts at around 28°C.

Makes you think how luck we are to have Lead really.... lol
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#7 Post by Mattnall »

I hope they offer to buyback my .243 as I doubt I'll be able to get any of the Cu bullets currently available at the weights to make deer-upsetting energies to stabilise at the twist rate I have.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.