Help for a newbie

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

steve853
Home club or Range: North Coates Butts

Help for a newbie

#1 Post by steve853 »

Hi all
I’m looking for a lbp in 22rf, hopefully something resembling a 1911. Does anyone have any advice or “avoid this” warnings?

I tried one at the range a while ago with a horrible trigger, and was thinking of a GSG 1911…

Tia
England Prevails
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Help for a newbie

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

If you're wanting a '1911' there are 3 options i'm aware of;

GSG - The most common, cheapest and most compatible with 'real' 1911 parts. They are however made of aluminium and heavy use can result in significant wear. Lot of aftermarket and replacement parts and a gunsmith virtually dedicated to them right here in the UK (M9 Engineering - sadly only available on Facebook). Seem to perfom as a mixed bag from the ones i've seen and my own. Usually magazine issues but as per there's the "Thats a pot metal toy gun" gang that like to find any fault they can with them (while offering no alternative usually because its not a 3lb steel revolver 8-) )

Low-mill Ranges - No longer in production AFAIK, widely regarded as being 'better' than the GSG but i've personally never seen one run well in a comp. Also compatible with most real upgrade parts.

Walther Gold Cup - Similar build quality to the GSG but not as compatible with some 1911 parts and disassembles differently to the real thing/the other LBPs.

I mainly seen LBPs in an IPSC /practical shooting capacity and most people go for Grand Power K22's, with people less serious about competing or unable/not willing to spend that kind of money getting GSG's or Walther PPQ's, which they usually end up spending on it anyway for accessories/upgrades etc lol The latest and greatest is the Shield KMR S-01 which is a CZ Shadow .22 LBP and the only one i've held that feels like a 'proper' handgun. They even have the "back in my day" gang taking notice, but they are £1800 starting price...
DVC
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

only one more, theres the TSC 1911 which was the forerunner to the GSG version. Basically The Tunnel saw an oportunity and bought all the parts, assembled and sold them, did very well, went to order more and found GSG stiffed them and made them direct.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
steve853

#4 Post by steve853 »

Thanks guys, I was thinking about the GSG as they seem pretty popular, and then some upgrades via M9 on Facebook, I just need to find an RFD in my area with some different ones to try for size. I’m thinking 1911 basically because of all the Airsoft pistols I have used the 1911 feels the most comfortable.
I’m also looking for a 44 cap and ball revolver, should be an interesting days shopping
England Prevails
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#5 Post by bradaz11 »

give a and a gunsmiths a visit, they're in skegness, but call in advance to make sure he'll be in. lots of different front stuffers to try, including nitro conversions. Last I saw he had some ppqs, which I was thoroughly impressed with in the hand. but I'm sure he can get gsg1911s in. as he kept asking me about upgrades or real steel parts i had on mine.

tbh if it wasn't for needing a 1911 for wildbunch comps, I would have swapped my 1911 for the ppq
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#6 Post by 38Super »

Very happy with my Walther Gold Cup. Hasn't missed a beat over the last couple of comps I've been to.
Runs perfectly with the 18 round converted mags. I haven't used the new 20 round conversion kit enough yet. I think I have to be really careful how I load it as sometimes it works fine, sometimes not.
I've added a frame mounted red dot, ambi safety, magwell and slide racker. It could definitely benefit from a good trigger job by somebody competent (when I get round to it).
Most of the lower half is standard 1911, the upper half is completely different. Much lighter than my GSG and much more reliable.
gold cup.jpg
steve853

#7 Post by steve853 »

38Super wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:51 pm Very happy with my Walther Gold Cup. Hasn't missed a beat over the last couple of comps I've been to.
Runs perfectly with the 18 round converted mags.
Hopefully going to look at a Walther next week, I’ll have to look into the larger magazines, where do you get them from?!
England Prevails
shotgun sam

#8 Post by shotgun sam »

I have a gsg firefly and so far has worked perfectly with zero stoppages, not into competitions as predominantly a hunter so the lbp was just for having fun on the range plinking away
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#9 Post by Dellboy »

steve853 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:47 pm Thanks guys, I was thinking about the GSG as they seem pretty popular, and then some upgrades via M9 on Facebook, I just need to find an RFD in my area with some different ones to try for size. I’m thinking 1911 basically because of all the Airsoft pistols I have used the 1911 feels the most comfortable.
I’m also looking for a 44 cap and ball revolver, should be an interesting days shopping
M9 upgrades are worth looking at Nicks a nice bloke (he is at the target shooting show in November ) i prefer the Browning Buckmark as they seem to work well out of the box and ive sold a few with no issues
As for revolvers the best must surely be a Ruger Old Army good solid piece.
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#10 Post by 38Super »

steve853 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:49 pm
Hopefully going to look at a Walther next week, I’ll have to look into the larger magazines, where do you get them from?!
Oceania Defence are the distributor and have all the extras. Look on their website under accessories.