Right shoulder left eye shooting

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Right shoulder left eye shooting

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Is anyone shooting left eye right shoulder for target or vermin? I have done a fair amount of damage to my right (Dominant) eye, as has a friend and we were discussing offset sight brackets yesterday evening as we are both missing our shooting. Something like below.

Thoughts anyone?
Offset.PNG
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Right shoulder left eye shooting

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

I knew a guy who shot a shotgun with a cross eye stock - weird looking thing but ihe shot well with it.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I would be more concerned about re coil while the retina is re attaching.
The Gun Pimp

#4 Post by The Gun Pimp »

One of our guys is shooting long-range benchrest with a similar offset mount to your sketch. I think it works well once zeroed.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#5 Post by channel12 »

I'm right handed but I have impaired right eye vision, not a problem with pistols and shoot left handed with lever actions, muzzle loaders, s/a rimfires. I had right handed bolt action .22 target rifle and I built an offset mount like you are suggesting. It didn't work because the weight of the scope unbalanced the rifle and I could never get a decent cheek weld/eye relief. In the end bought a left handed bolt action.
Embrace the change and learn shoot left handed, might need a left handed bolt action though. However I've always shot long guns from the left shoulder so haven't had to unlearn the muscle memory
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

After having my right eye detached retina re attached and the cataract removed and the new lens inserted I just waited till every thing healed it took a couple of month after that every thing was fine. Now years down the road my right eye is spot on.
I had the left eye lens replaced a couple of year ago unfortunately I have very limited vision in the left eye so its a bit of a lottery I am afraid. The up side is my right eye is still my dominant eye. The down side is I can not see what is going on at my left side but hitting curbs and miss judging turn is not a problem. It doesn't interfere with the shooting which is all that matters.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha, I do have another operation due however it is very unlikely that I will be able to shoot with my right eye again.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Webley
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#8 Post by Webley »

https://ukvarminting.com/topic/49938-is ... /#comments
You may find this thread interesting. For a quick fix the 45 degree picatinny offset mounts allow you to try moving the scope over. But it is not a patch on your proposed manufactured solution.
For additional suggestions, you could add pic rail above the rifle rail to attach a light for hunting if that is your thing or a laser directly above the bore to help with ranging as you will have to adjust windage for each range. Possibly add a bubble level?
The Gun Pimp

#9 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Yeah - 'Baldheaded Geordie' (above) is the same guy I referred to.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#10 Post by hitchphil »

These are reasonably common in small-bore target shooting & i have seen a few in fullbore too. They simply offset both sights to the left eye. I see no reason why they wont work, but a blinder over the lazy eye, it might help you get used to them. Also beware of alignment of the foresight - its not quite parallel with the bore - so dont get an oval effect in foresight in the vertical axis.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?