shooting deer / pest ect

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: shooting deer / pest ect

#11 Post by dromia »

Let it rot in situ to draw in more carrion eating vermin.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
shotgun sam

#12 Post by shotgun sam »

dromia wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:51 pm Let it rot in situ to draw in more carrion eating vermin.
Which in turn brings foxes to eat the carrion
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Graham M

#13 Post by Graham M »

I don't leave them in the middle of a field in case a tree-hugger sees it and collapses in a flood of tears. I tend to pick them up and chuck then into the wood or under a hedge.

The smell can get a bit overpowering but as Adam says it does draw in others.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

see it's things like that, the little things. I would have thought that would have been frowned upon
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
nic

#15 Post by nic »

if what you want is to try it out then go down the pay per stalk route. there are facebook pages re stalking (careful of what you search for :-) ) or The Stalking Directory, or even Pigeon watch. That way you can get out and try it to see if it floats your boat. I do a fair bit of live quarry stuff, deer, ducks, geese pheasant mainly for the pot- mine or families and enjoy it, but a number like the kill but not the butchery / carcass prep etc.

if you do go down the pay route, be aware of the added costs, make sure what the price quoted covers... ie stalk, kill, trophy rates. carcass cost if you want the meat. cost for a wounded lost animal.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

bradaz11 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:48 am I just want to know what sort of steps to take. to go from pure target shooter, to try out shooting live quarry. I've never killed anything so not even certain if 'd have issues pulling the trigger, but doing it appeals, I'd also really like to know how to process said animal.

I mean even with farm and shooting foxes, what do you even do with the fox?
If you don't have any shooting friends that can take you along with them, then as mentioned above, have a look at paid stalking or pest control, or a course offering either.

Pigeon shooting is probably the easiest to get into and you don't need any conditions/'status' change on your certificate (assuming you have an SGC), you literally just need permission from the land owner/shooting rights controller and you're in. If you're a member of a gun club its worth putting the feelers out, even if there's no one doing it in your club, someone will likely know someone else and could do an introduction for you. Either that or get on forums like Pigeon Watch (prepare yourself for the tw@ttery), Stalking Directory etc. I've had a few permissions in the past just from people offering them up during the busy season to make sure fields are covered.

There are still plenty of carcass processing videos on Youtube for you to get a grasp on the basics of dispatch and meat processing, but hands on is the best teacher.
DVC
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#17 Post by bradaz11 »

yeah I think my club notice board might be one route, or to ask the owner to ask about for me.

I looked at pay route before and it all seemed hugely expensive. I think I'd like to go with someone while theyre doing it, and watch them etc for a few times, rather than rock up and start taking pot shots at a beast
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by 1066 »

Personally I would try and find a local farm or bit of woodland and have a go a rabbits or even squirrels - Even with the best of intentions not every shot is clean, if you don't like the thought of a rabbit squealing and bouncing about after being shot, maybe it's not for you.

On another note - Deer are becoming such a pest in some areas there is a move to change closed seasons and allow night shooting.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... llion.html
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
lovemunkey187
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts & Phoenix Range

#19 Post by lovemunkey187 »

bradaz11 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:48 amI've never killed anything so not even certain if 'd have issues pulling the trigger, but doing it appeals, I'd also really like to know how to process said animal.
Same. I do wonder if I've got it in me.
Hey, dawg. Didya see the size of that chicken?
Graham M

#20 Post by Graham M »

I remember gutting my first rabbit at a young age. All I did for the first few minutes was wretch and gag. After a few bunnies I did get used to it though. :good: lol
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.