Lee APP press de capping tool

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Lee APP press de capping tool

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Bought a Lee de capping kit for the APP press the de capping pin snapped off after twelve cases. Binned it.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Lee APP press de capping tool

#2 Post by dromia »

You are a bit of a slow learner with Lee Dave.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

For me using the Lee stuff is a form of masochism it serves to remind me how good the rest of my kit is and its cheap enough to just chuck it in the bin if it doesn't work.
My Wamadet is still as good as new and functions perfectly as does my Lyman press,s. I have had the Lyman gear probably 40 years. I also have RCBS stuff that I have had for a life time still going strong.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

if it is destined for the bin, give me a shout, i'll save it from that fate
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Graham M

#5 Post by Graham M »

Can't understand it. My Lee dies have lasted for over 30 years
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

The Lee dies are the best of their range although their collets need a bit of fettling to make them work as advertised. I have them in most of the calibres I use.

I also like their Auto disk powder dispensers, after that things tend to go downhill.

The thing with any Lee product is to look on you tube and see how many videos there are about the item giving "fixes" on how to get them to work as advertised.

That says more about the Lee product range than anything else.

Personally I like to put my money into things that work out of the box as advertised rather than buy something that need sorting before it will work, sort of.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

i think its also a case of if you have only ever driven / been in a peugot 205, you don't know how much nicer a 2016 mondeo is.

I have been very happy with most of my lee purchases, love the dies, ACP, pro 4000 and cast turret presses. Do not like 1000s, loadmasters or their trim dies.
do they have the odd trouble, yes. but compare the price of a fully loaded dillon vs a fully loaded 4000. if your car cost you £300 you knida expect issues, but if you splashed 20k, you don't expect any issues at all.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Graham M wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:21 pm Can't understand it. My Lee dies have lasted for over 30 years
Its not the conventional Lee de capper that failed they make one especially for use on the APP press that's the one that failed and ended up in the bin. Its a fiddly flimsy thing not as robust as the original de capping die.
Graham M

#9 Post by Graham M »

Must admit that I have Redding scales due to the Lee scales being absolute rubbish and a Lyman powder measure because the Lee "Auto disk powder dispenser" was accurate to about as near as it wanted. wtf
Then again the Redding scales are over 30 years old and the magnetic damping seemed to be of no use nowadays, so I did take the old magnets out and replaced them with a couple of new earth magnets I bought off the web.
I never understood how a couple of copper plates could be affected by magnets, but these new magnets work absolutely brilliantly. You can see how the arm just slows down and comes to a nice standstill whereas before the arm would just bounce up and down and I would have to just wait for it to stop.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

Graham M wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:08 pm Must admit that I have Redding scales due to the Lee scales being absolute rubbish and a Lyman powder measure because the Lee "Auto disk powder dispenser" was accurate to about as near as it wanted. wtf
Then again the Redding scales are over 30 years old and the magnetic damping seemed to be of no use nowadays, so I did take the old magnets out and replaced them with a couple of new earth magnets I bought off the web.
I never understood how a couple of copper plates could be affected by magnets, but these new magnets work absolutely brilliantly. You can see how the arm just slows down and comes to a nice standstill whereas before the arm would just bounce up and down and I would have to just wait for it to stop.
ah yes, lee scales should just be put straight in the bin. I have a set of 5-0-5 and a spare set.
auto discs were ok... auto drum is perfection! get it set to throw the right amount, then off you go, I still check mine, every 20 or so, but I have never ever needed to adjust it mid session. I also have extra drums, marked up for powder and weight. these just screw in once you empty out the powder. again, I don't find a need to adjust when swapping to other powder / loads