Which Reproduction Brown Bess ?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

lincolnjeffries
Home club or Range: none

Which Reproduction Brown Bess ?

#1 Post by lincolnjeffries »

Hi,
Been pondering a reproduction Brown Bess. Have seen models including Coach Harness and Pedersoli for sale. Who makes the best ones.
Do flintlocks function correctly with Pyrodex or would I be better going down the BP route ?
Best Regards
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Which Reproduction Brown Bess ?

#2 Post by dromia »

I have the Pedersoli and it is a fine gun.

It has the odd authenticity issue, the butt seem to be an hybrid of patterns but still looks and feels the part, I used to have a modest collection of originals.

Coach Harness is going back a bit, as I recall they were Indian imports as are most of the other repros around. They are made to a price point and that is reflected in the quality.

You really need to have a look at what is around and see what price/quality compromise you want to make.

Pyrodex does not work well with flintlock ignition, regardless any self respecting black powder shooter would not put the vile corrosive stuff anywhere near their guns.

You may find this thread of interest https://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33722.

The search function is your friend.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Vossie
Home club or Range: Bisley

#3 Post by Vossie »

That thread was interesting thank you.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Thank you.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
lincolnjeffries
Home club or Range: none

#5 Post by lincolnjeffries »

Much appreciated, thank you.
Rearlugs

#6 Post by Rearlugs »

dromia wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:51 pm I have the Pedersoli and it is a fine gun.

It has the odd authenticity issue, the butt seem to be an hybrid of patterns but still looks and feels the part, I used to have a modest collection of originals.

Coach Harness is going back a bit, as I recall they were Indian imports as are most of the other repros around. They are made to a price point and that is reflected in the quality.

You really need to have a look at what is around and see what price/quality compromise you want to make.

Pyrodex does not work well with flintlock ignition, regardless any self respecting black powder shooter would not put the vile corrosive stuff anywhere near their guns.

You may find this thread of interest https://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33722.

The search function is your friend.

I wondered if the Coach Harness guns were actually from the same source as the current Pedersoli guns? The locks are the same "Grice" item, and the rest of the gun components seem very similar - perhaps just product refined a bit further in the Pedersoli.

My own Coach Harness (?) specimen is now so aged in appearance (manufactured 1970s, 1980s?) that it actually resembles an original!
capper

#7 Post by capper »

I used coach harness muzzle loaders years ago & the quality, lock etc was excellent. In more recent times I’ve used the various models of flintlock rifles & shotguns from Pedersoli & I think you’d be hard pushed to find better. While expensive new for the Brown Bess etc @ over £1300, used ones can be found in excellent condition for approximately half that & you may get some accessories with it, good luck in finding one.