Bison in the UK

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Christel
Site Admin

Bison in the UK

#1 Post by Christel »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wild ... -r7f8hh85f

This will be interesting to follow.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Bison in the UK

#2 Post by 1066 »

Situated right by the M2 and M20 - they have enough trouble when a cow wanders - not sure how they will deal with one of these on the carriageway. :)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#3 Post by Les »

You'd think we might have learned a lesson, importing grey squirrels and other invasive species that have caused chaos but no, we have to start importing Bison.
Madness. teanews
YattonShooter

#4 Post by YattonShooter »

I wonder if next on the list will be bears, wolves and lynx?
I understand that some see the need to reintroduce extinct species but I suspect that the majority wouldn’t want to be dealing with bears picking through their rubbish.
Polchraine

#5 Post by Polchraine »

Les wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:34 pm You'd think we might have learned a lesson, importing grey squirrels and other invasive species that have caused chaos but no, we have to start importing Bison.
Madness. teanews

Most invasive species: grey squirrels, signal crayfish, muntjac are legitmate targets. Will bison be added to teh list?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

YattonShooter wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:37 pm I wonder if next on the list will be bears, wolves and lynx?
I understand that some see the need to reintroduce extinct species but I suspect that the majority wouldn’t want to be dealing with bears picking through their rubbish.
bristol was trying to do just that, just round the corner from the zoo, no idea how its going though
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Graham M

#7 Post by Graham M »

No doubt when the first dog walker gets mow down and trample by a heard of Bison, the do-gooders will then want to bring in new laws banning dog walking in sensitive areas.
The country is in the midst of an overwhelming increase in the deer population, so why on earth do we need Bison to act as "Natural engineers", whatever that is supposed to mean.
And once the Bison begin to get out of hand we will then deem it "Necessary" to bring in Wolves and Lions to act as "Natural predators".
The country is being run by a load of woke eejits without a clue of what is going on in the real world. They believe that everything they read in the Guardian is true and that we should be living in an eco-friendly world where we all catch the electric bus to work, and cows and sheep should be turned loose and we all become vegetarians and eat beans and lentils.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Kindasideous
Home club or Range: My back yard

#8 Post by Kindasideous »

Kind of curious, the linked article from The Times says "Bison BACK" in the UK... Did the UK historically have Bison?

I also find it kind of strange that it say the purpose is to help fight climate change. We have politicians on this side of the pond who tell us that "cow farts" are part of the problem... someone would have to explain to me how moving what basically amounts to wild cows around the planet "helps" the situation! LOL
Happily tucked away in the middle of 172+ acres in Michigan's Upper Peninsula; hunting, shooting, trapping, and generally minding my own business!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

"Cow's farts matter!"

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Peter Leigh
Home club or Range: chepstow Rifle Club

#10 Post by Peter Leigh »

Did the UK historically have Bison? I believe we did and most of europe, and hunted them down with spears .