Firearms Safety Cosultation

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
AL8

Firearms Safety Cosultation

#1 Post by AL8 »

The Latest set of proposals in response to the 2020 consultation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... tent=daily
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Firearms Safety Cosultation

#2 Post by 1066 »

I'm absolutely appalled, although not surprised. by the pitiful response of the shooting community to this consultation.

It looks like there was around 12,000 responses that the government is using to base future legislation on - Yes, the NRA, NSRA, BASC etc. responded as you would hope and expect - but those are countered by Gun Control Network, Cats protection, NABIS, RSPCA etc. but there were only a few thousand individual responses, about half of them shooters I would guess.
Questions about definitions of a miniature rifle .22 or .223? I'm guessing not many in the cats protection league would have a clue and yet their vote counts just the same.

Where they are talking about self loading rifles on miniature rifle ranges, something like this could easily slip through - by the will of the people.
Why were there not 100,000 shooters who responded? It took 5 minutes.

TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#3 Post by Mattnall »

You do realise that the vast majority supported considering (keeping) semi-auto rifles as miniature rifles?

18% think they should not be miniature rifles and 71% think they should stay as miniature rifles. 11% may have had no idea what was being considered or completely misread the question. The alarming fact is that of the 18% that want to remove the s11 exemption from self loaders the largest groups were shooters and shooting organisations.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.

#4 Post by 1066 »

Mattnall wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:30 pm You do realise that the vast majority supported considering (keeping) semi-auto rifles as miniature rifles?

18% think they should not be miniature rifles and 71% think they should stay as miniature rifles. 11% may have had no idea what was being considered or completely misread the question. The alarming fact is that of the 18% that want to remove the s11 exemption from self loaders the largest groups were shooters and shooting organisations.
Yes, I quite understand that - but what if the anti factions got their act together, as they often do. A couple of distorted posts from Wild Justice and a couple of articles by Gun Control Network in the Sunday papers and they could easily mustered 20,000 responses and swamped our apathetic effort.

Every time it's the old story. "I don't shoot rimfire - won't effect me" "I don't reload - won't effect me"
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
RDC

#5 Post by RDC »

1066 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:21 pm I'm absolutely appalled, although not surprised. by the pitiful response of the shooting community to this consultation.

Why were there not 100,000 shooters who responded? It took 5 minutes.
Apathy.

I hear it all the time on the firing point and in stores that if the government have it in mind to ban something, they will regardless of what we respond. I was in an RFD recently and it was all doom and gloom from him. A done deal. Government banning shooting by stealth with the lead ban. I wanted to ask why he bothers to open his doors if he's so convinced we're all gone in 18 months.

The obvious counter to this attitude from shooters is that the 50 cal boys and girls beating the recent attempt at banning their sport. But these people I encounter refuse to listen and point to the semi auto and pistol bans.

The secretary of one of my clubs is the worst for this and it often takes alot of pushing and prodding to get him to send out any of the comms, surveys or consultations to the membership to let them know about things that may affect us all. Another club I am a member of is very much on top of it and will encourage all to have their say.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I completed the questionnaire.

I still cannot get over 48% of people who completed it think it is OK or have no opinion on holding reloading components for firearms they do not have lawfully authority to possess.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

They probably have no opinion because it’s such a ridiculous question! The fact is, there is a plethora of laws that actually cover the multitude of offences that could be committed without adding more Shiite to the mix!!!

Particularly when FIOs, RFDs and shooters can’t interpret the stuff on the statute books already!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

#8 Post by spikedueller »

As a shooter of more unusual calibers let me present on side of the coin.I am often in possession of components that I don't have a firearm for but will convert for use in firearms I do.

I shoot .318 Nitro express and buy .338" bullets to size down to .330".
I' have .45 Basic brass to turn into .450/400 3.25" cases and .405" Winchester bullets that are .411" that I'll then size to .409" for use in the double that i have.

Some of my .43" Spanish cases started life as 348" Winchester so if enacted into law that you could only buy components that exactly matched what you had on your certificate it would make life very difficult or require some complex additions to my certificate for no real gain.

If passed it could be used to prosecute collectors of inert rounds if followed strictly or indeed those who make up inert rounds who may well be in possession of a variety of components.

The controls on primers and powder were put in place to stop criminals going down the hand loading route but possession of ammunition that you don't have a license for was already an offence. You can't make something illegal more illegal. If someone is in possession of components and primers and powder but doesn't have a FAC then arguably they have some explaining to do but someone who has a few odd cases and bullets but nothing else may just be a bona fide collector.

What exactly is the aim of enacting new laws and would they arguably have any material effect on crime?
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

Code: Select all

What exactly is the aim of enacting new laws and would they arguably have any material effect on crime?
Effect on crime, of course not.

#10 Post by 1066 »

spikedueller wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:27 pm
And there's the rub. Much of this is legislation for the sake of it, empire building and being seen to be doing something about a perceived problem.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com