.303 for overland anyone?

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

.303 for overland anyone?

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have just renewed my FAC and asked for a couple of .303 rifles I own to be added for overland/AOLQ and they were agreed along with my 1900 6.5x54MS so I now have three rifles, all over 100 years old that I can lawfully walk the lands and woodland with.

Is anyone using a .303 Sporter for Deer and if so how are you getting on with it. All three are open sights so strictly sub 100 yards stuff.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: .303 for overland anyone?

#2 Post by dromia »

I have a a No4 PH sporter conversion in 303 for deer that has taken hundreds of Reds over the past three decades.

It has a 2.5 x Ajack scope that is there for light gathering more than anything else.

When I was a young lad working as a stalker you were issued with estate guns with open sights. The head keeper said "You are stalkers not target shooters, If you cannot get within 150 yrds of a beast then you have no place on my hill. You know when you are are close enough to take the shot when you can see the individual hairs on the beasts coat."

In those days it was military ball that you used for the deer and it dropped them dead every time if you did your bit.

Occasionally you would be given some ICI brown box stuff and the odd handful of Norma soft points which was left by guests.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have some 150 grain soft point Sierra Gamekings that shot remarkably well in my Lee Speed considering it came out of the factory with virtually no rifling 120+ years ago. realistically I should get my last remaining spool of lead wire out if I am to shoot it seriously.

The 6.5x54MS lobs out 160 grain round nose quite effectively however I have always wanted to try it with a lighter bullet so that is something to look forward to.

Both are open sights so not a problem and they also appear to have added my P14 which is currently fitted with a No32 Mk1 which is rather handy as it is an accurate although really heavy rifle.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
nic

#4 Post by nic »

i must admit a desire to use my No4 mk 1 for a stalk..... local force will probably not allow it as land only authorised to 270... though i really do not know why
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I see no reason why you cannot use a .303 for stalking, just speak to them and have a good reason.
/d

Shed Journal
Graham M

#6 Post by Graham M »

Yup stupidity. A .303 or a .308 is more dangerous than a .270
only a politician could make it up.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
nic

#7 Post by nic »

the same person said that could not use my 38 under lever for foxes... lots of the area in close woods and often you see the fox at less than 30 yards and the open sights allow a snap shot... no only up to 270.... but one is rifle, one is pistol! NO 38 is bigger than 270

no sense
Graham M

#8 Post by Graham M »

I asked for my .357 Winchester U/L to be allowed as a follow up gun for deer.

"No chance"

"Why not???"

"Because if you need a follow up gun you can apply for a pistol" wtf

When West Midlands were dealing with my FAC/SGC, I never had a problem getting anything I wanted. Then Staff's took over the licensing and it has been like trying to teach a new lad how to do a job whilst working on different sites.
The FEO that first came out to see me was a huge copper in all his stab proof vest etc, and he openly admitted that he didn't have a clue about the job and was learning as he went.
My last interview was on the phone and the nice lady wanted to know why I needed 6000rds of .22rf. I was able to satisfy her with all of the competitions I shot in, and with the vermin control as well she seemed to see my side of it, so that was a little victory in itself.
My friend tried to be a bit cocky and told her that he needed 6000rds because he was "Entitled to them" wtf
He got his ticket back with 1000rds on it and he had to go through the NSRA to get his ammo amount back. Even then he only got 5000rds so Staff's had their little victory.
sometimes it pays to pull yer forelock O:-) .
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have 1200 .22LR on mine, when I asked for more a few years ago the FEO asked how many rounds I had in the Armoury, that was a good point well made.
/d

Shed Journal