Proposed HSE lead ban

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Proposed HSE lead ban

#51 Post by dromia »

Aye, they used lead free bullets.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
davidh195

#52 Post by davidh195 »

I was told a while ago MLAGB were trying to raise a fighting fund of £60,000 to pay for a barrister. to fight it.

The NRA was doing a muzzle loading survey on with MLAGB recently.
Dear NRA Member

The NRA, working with the MLAGB, has examined the HSE consultation document concerning prohibitions of lead ammunition, and has taken technical and political advice. The HSE is asking for information including data of the number of muzzle loading arms in use, and the amount of lead that is shot annually in the UK. The objective of this research is to provide a basis that allows us to respond as accurately as possible.

We understand that your primary or secondary shooting discipline is muzzle loading. You are invited to complete an on-line survey that will help to frame our response to the HSE in the coming days.

You may also be invited to respond to this survey by the MLAGB, please only complete the survey once.
David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

#53 Post by Itskeith »

Blackstuff wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:16 am I was talking to the former head of Eley on Saturday about this very subject. While there are alternatives none are accurate, some are corrosive (using ferrite powder as one of the main ingredients) and they were way, way, way more expensive, with a 50rd box of ammo being in the region of £40-50 (at the time of his leaving the company in 2020).

The timeline that i'm aware of is; end of consultation next week, decision before Christmas, 18 month transition period (for everyone/venue that isn't exempt) starting on the day of the decision, 5 year transition period for everyone else apart from the Police and Military. :cry:
Thanks Blackstuff, makes me wonder at those prices is the hobby worth getting into for what may only be 18 months ...

Or have some fun for 18 months and see what happens? any????
Blackstuff

#54 Post by Blackstuff »

Its not a great time to be starting in the sport. :cry:

I've put off buying a new competition gun for practical shotgun because of the imminent threat :bad:
DVC
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#55 Post by dromia »

Great news, BASC doesn't support a lead ban and no RFD's business will have to close so no compensation needed. wtf

I received this from a Mr O'Gorman.

"Dear Mr Sutherland,

BASC does not support a lead ban and I don’t agree that RFDs will be put out of business by a transition away from some forms of lead ammunition.

If you would like to discuss further let me know a good day/time for me to call you.

Best wishes"

I look forward to taking his phone call.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Graham M

#56 Post by Graham M »

Mr O'Gorman is a t*@t
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Blackstuff

#57 Post by Blackstuff »

Be sure to ask him what happens to otherwise completely stable and (virtually) harmless lead shot when the steel shot replacement goes on top of it and oxidises into iron oxide....
DVC
Graham M

#58 Post by Graham M »

He will say that it won't happen because John Swift said it wouldn't.
Swift is now in bed with Mark Avery and has a wonderful page on farcebook where he extols the virtues of using non-lead shot to save all those birds dying from lead poisoning.
You would not believe some of the eejits who reply to him saying what a wonderful idea it is and how they will have no trouble switching to tungsten for their game shooting.
Obviously well-heeled dimwits who have enough money to buy tungsten but haven't a clue about how the rest of the world is going to manage without lead ball or rimfire bullets.......
Because it doesn't matter to them.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Blackstuff

#59 Post by Blackstuff »

And how long until the mildly toxic nature of tungsten (And bismuth) becomes a problem. teanews I suppose when you're paying £2600/1000 you'll be able to get top treatment at the Royal Brompton so they'll not be bothered 8-)
DVC
PeterN

#60 Post by PeterN »

The HSE has extended the period to consider their responses to the consultation on lead in ammunition. They received 2759 responses to the consultation. From over a half a million shooters plus all the air gun users that will be affected, that is a pathetic figure. They should have had over 100,000 at least. No wonder they can walk all over us at will.
Regards
Peter.
https://press.hse.gov.uk/2023/01/05/hse ... ix-months/