Vickers Machine Gun Demonstration at Bisley, 3rd July

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Vickers Machine Gun Demonstration at Bisley, 3rd July

#41 Post by bradaz11 »

Shpagin wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:15 pm by the way, you are from Bristol, I see. I lived there. There were some Police butts under the suspension bridge, along the tow-path on the Long Ashton side of the river. You may know them? We used to go hunting for lead there, when I was a kid.
it only seems to be something that surfaced recently as a term. I'm not sure.

no, sorry, I'm not from Bristol, I moved around here because I work in Bristol. I try to avoid the place as much as possible to be honest. Cribbs is ok, but I prefer to go to weston super mare for the shops if I can
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Shpagin

#42 Post by Shpagin »

ha, I feel that way about Ipswich. Came here for work. My heart is in Bristol.

I wonder if the mistaken term is surfacing only now because of people returning to shooting after all these years away. Terminology changes. Like when I started swimming again in middle age and I got absolutely slammed referring to flippers by people who categorically insisted they are fins. Things do change and the dominant group thinks it is right. But they are only words.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#43 Post by dromia »

Words have meaning and it is how that meaning is interpreted which make them more than just words.

The miss use of the heads word for bullet when the head is actually the base of the case has caused and is causing much confusion amongst tyro hand loaders and in at least one case, in my direct experience, of a near catastrophic incident due to the confusion caused by the misuse of the correct terminology.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Shpagin

#44 Post by Shpagin »

I just searched "bullet heads" on Henry Krank's website and got offered 356 items over 5 pages, and absolutely every one of them was a projectile, not a cartridge.

all the images on a Google image search for bullet heads also gave projectiles. You might expect that from a non-expert source, but when Henry Krank thinks heads are bullet tops, not bottoms, it isn't clear that the issue is cut and dried.
Shpagin

#45 Post by Shpagin »

Likewise "Bullet Heads and Brass" on Sportsman Gun Centre (another British site)
https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/re ... eads-brass

I
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#46 Post by bradaz11 »

Shpagin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:32 pm I just searched "bullet heads" on Henry Krank's website and got offered 356 items over 5 pages, and absolutely every one of them was a projectile, not a cartridge.

all the images on a Google image search for bullet heads also gave projectiles. You might expect that from a non-expert source, but when Henry Krank thinks heads are bullet tops, not bottoms, it isn't clear that the issue is cut and dried.
bullets are the projectile, the entire thing is a cartridge.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#47 Post by dromia »

Aye Shpagin, so does two plus wrongs make a right for you.

Shooting is damaged enough on waves of populism so your advocating just go with the flow. I can see you being a great help in tackling the anti gun lobby.

Stuff like this along with attitudes like yours indicates all that is wrong with shooting in the UK.

They are retailers most of whose employees know as much about guns and ammunition as my arse knows about snipe shooting.

They should know bloody better, Kranks "excuse" when I pulled them on it was it helped differentiating 'tween bullets the projectile and bullets loaded rounds even although they knew it was wrong.

So Shpagin tell me which part of the bullet "projectile" is the head?

If you accept that the bullet is called the head then you are saying that the cartridge is really a bullet. kukkuk

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Shpagin

#48 Post by Shpagin »

It is very hard when you are learning something when different teachers say different things.
Shpagin

#49 Post by Shpagin »

dromia wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:33 pm

Stuff like this along with attitudes like yours indicates all that is wrong with shooting in the UK.
Please could you clarify exactly what you mean about my attitude; what's wrong with it, in your view?
Graham M

#50 Post by Graham M »

It's really easy. Bullets are the lumps of lead that come out the front of the barrel.
Cases are the brass things that hold the powder and into which the bullet fits.
And the HEAD is the bit that the primer sits in and has the HEADSTAMP marked on it.
And finally, the whole ensemble is called a round of ammunition. shakeshout
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.