Vickers Machine Gun Demonstration at Bisley, 3rd July

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

Re: Vickers Machine Gun Demonstration at Bisley, 3rd July

#31 Post by 450 Martini »

In short no these guns are not privately owned like section 1 firearms. Section 5 firearms ostensibly can only be owned by businesses or organisations with a legitimate need or museums. Section 5 firearms are stored in facilities that are at least secured to level 3 standard although a dedicated armoury is more common.
Unlike historic handguns there is no special club you can join to shoot these firearms for "historical research".
The law is designed to stop members of the public having any access to section 5 although there are a few tightly controlled exceptions most notably the "theatrical exemption" (section 12 firearms act 1968) which allows a person under supervision of a section 5 holder to fire otherwise prohibited firearms while making films, T.V productions, plays ect. If you really want a go on a machine gun you can join a re-enactment group and hire a blank firing section 5 firearm at some of the larger shows and private training events. It is rather fun although at times expensive.
Rookandrabbit

#32 Post by Rookandrabbit »

Wow watched the video of the Knob Creek shooters, I have seen 1 in 5 tracer rounds and watched as they curve away but also those going all over the place due to ricochets and instability as the tracer core burns. Amazing to watch!

I recall my dads uncle who was in the First World War explaining how the Germans used interlocking machine gun fire to sweep lines of advancing men and that the British were later to develop the tactic rather than having the machine gunners firing from the lines on an arc.
I just find it heartbreaking that men were forced over the top into the wall of machine gun bullets never mind wire shell holes rifle fire debris snipers gas and artillery…………amazing anybody survived in the PBI.
Shpagin

#33 Post by Shpagin »

Rookandrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:25 pm PBI.
You have taught me something there - or made me go and learn something, anyway! Poor bloody infantry. I looked it up and also learned scarper and others:
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... g-glossary
Rookandrabbit

#34 Post by Rookandrabbit »

Shpagin wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:22 pm
Rookandrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:25 pm PBI.
You have taught me something there - or made me go and learn something, anyway!
Hello Shapagin yes we are never too old to learn new things however the problem is it means I forget the old things in rapid order wallhead

One of the things I have learned to not do is use the W word! I did not know it had such political weight attached to it. teanews troutslapping

It was merely a reference to your military experience. I apologise to the Moderator and causing you problems by using it first.🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#35 Post by dromia »

No need for an apology, it is not the use of the word that caused an issue.

As new to civilian shooting then not knowing isn't a crime, places like this are here to help and pointing out the inappropriateness is all part of this forums attempt to help.

Trouble comes when the pointing out isn't enough and the debate continues as excuses are made which indicate that the telling hasn't been taken on board.

Don't bother replying to this Shpagin or 'twill end in another locked thread. My discussions with you on the subject are done!

Wait 'till you start using the "heads" word.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#36 Post by bradaz11 »

'heads' will roll
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Shpagin

#37 Post by Shpagin »

bradaz11 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:10 pm 'heads' will roll
is that what heads means? I was being thick and couldn't work it out. I thought it must be Navy slang or something
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#38 Post by bradaz11 »

Shpagin wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:28 pm
is that what heads means? I was being thick and couldn't work it out. I thought it must be Navy slang or something
no, it's the incorrect and frankly confusing term a lot of people are using to refer to bullets. bullets are bullets. the head when talking about ammo or cartridges, is the base of the case, where the markings are stamped into the head... or headstamp.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Shpagin

#39 Post by Shpagin »

bradaz11 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:03 pm
Shpagin wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:28 pm
no, it's the incorrect and frankly confusing term a lot of people are using to refer to bullets. bullets are bullets. the head when talking about ammo or cartridges, is the base of the case, where the markings are stamped into the head... or headstamp.
It may be historical and may be due to us old blokes who started out in cadets. Back then (1970s in my case) the projectile part WAS called the head.

At my school we had an activity specifically referred to as "head hunting", which was digging around in the sand butts for lead, which some of us (those of us now showing mental health issues, probably) melted in frying pans, then taking the mega-lumps on the backs of our bikes to a scrappy for cash.

But now I stand corrected. I shall never make that mistake again. So, is that where the term headstamp actually comes from?
Shpagin

#40 Post by Shpagin »

by the way, you are from Bristol, I see. I lived there. There were some Police butts under the suspension bridge, along the tow-path on the Long Ashton side of the river. You may know them? We used to go hunting for lead there, when I was a kid.