Scope choice FFP or SFP

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

MetalMagus
Home club or Range: Oop Norf....on a need to know basis

Scope choice FFP or SFP

#1 Post by MetalMagus »

Hi,
Looking for another scope for ranges up to a 1000m. I currently have an Athlon 4.5 - 30 x 56 with a moa reticle in FFP. Really nice scope and good value in my budget range. Problem is they are hard to get hold of. So would need to wait for another to arrive from the US from the importers.

So, looking at alternatives. Quite like the look of the Delta Stryker target ultra 5 - 50 x 56. But it’s second focal plane. I understand the difference between FFP and SFP but would like to understand what scopes other people use for up to a 1000m. Do you use FFP, SFP or a mixture. What are the pros and cons of what you use. Interested in your feedback to help me reach at least a short list to go and take a look at if possible.

Thanks
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Scope choice FFP or SFP

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

If you know the distance you are shooting at then either will do. If, however you are ranging targets from 600-1500m then FFP can be considered. I shoot a FFP PM2 Milrad and have done for many years mostly at target sizes I know and the occasional rabbit.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
MetalMagus

#3 Post by MetalMagus »

Thanks for the feedback Ovenpaa
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#4 Post by 20series »

We run Sightron S111, 8-32x56 hard to beat for value, lifetime guarantee. 75moa of adjustment

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
MetalMagus

#5 Post by MetalMagus »

Thanks for the feedback Alan. I have a Sightron 4 - 16 x 50 on my 22. Very nice scope.
DaveT

#6 Post by DaveT »

FFP in mils every time for me....so easy to use the reticle at any power to assess shot corrections.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

Where as for me, second focal plane, mil-dot reticle and MOA adjustments…!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#8 Post by DaveB »

I always go with SFP. With FFP scopes when you dial the magnification down the crosshairs get so small my poor old eyes cannot even see them!
MetalMagus

#9 Post by MetalMagus »

Thanks for the feedback gents. Think I will try a SFP scope.As DaveB said having the reticle remain visible at lower mags would certainly help.
IlIHYPERIONIlI
Home club or Range: Greenock & district

#10 Post by IlIHYPERIONIlI »

I went with ffp on my riton scope just to help with corrections as other people have mentioned. Maybe the older I get and the worse my eyes get I'll switch to sfp