Lyman number 2 Lead alloy.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Lyman number 2 Lead alloy.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Lyman states that its number 2 alloy is 16 Brinell hardness.(BHN)
I bought some Shell House 38 special 158 grain semi wadcutters on the box it says they are 15.4 Brinell hardness.
I have been using bullets supplied by Rog that worked fine I switched to the Shell House offerings and they are all over the place.Is 15.4 Brinell hardness to hard for 38 special in a Winchester underlever or is it that my rifle doesn't like semi wad cutters. Rog bullets are round nose flat point.
Any body using Shell House offerings and what is your experience with them how do they work for you or not.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Lyman number 2 Lead alloy.

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

well they will be harder than pure lead, as to too hard? I'd doubt it. how fresh is the box of bullets as my understanding is they can harden up over time.
I have used shellhouse bullets a lot, and have never noticed issues with them, but I have never used their 158gr semi wad cutters. I and a lot of folks I know use 125gr FP bullets for that chambering and I've not heard complaints.
I suppose it also depends on your definition of all over the place.
I did find my latest rifle to have poor grouping when I shot some test loads using 38spl cases, but the same loads in 357 cases were much better.
another consideration would be are they the same dia as what rog was sending you?

disclaimer. I have no interest or stakes in their company, but I do know and shoot with the guys that run it.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#3 Post by FredB »

You do not need hard bullets. If your bullets are slightly less than groove diameter, the hard alloy will not set up on firing and you will have no accuracy and the possibility of leading in the throat. Bullet diameter---not weight--- is the key to accuracy. Hard bullets are needed with hot loads in revolvers to avoid setting up in the transition from cyclinder to barrel. In rifles, a 25:1 mix of lead and tin is ideal.WITH AT LEAST GROOVE DIAMETER BULLETS.
Fred
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#4 Post by dodgyrog »

My boolits are sized to .358"
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.