Super sonic 44 mag load

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

Super sonic 44 mag load

#1 Post by Scrumbag »

Hi folks,

looking for a 44 mag load with a cast lead 240gr RNFP (Shell House) that is supersonic (for electronic targets).

I have Unique but happy to look at other powders.

Scrummy
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

Re: Super sonic 44 mag load

#2 Post by waterford103 »

VV N110 used to do it for me out of a S&W Mod 29 6" barrel.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Scrumbag

#3 Post by Scrumbag »

waterford103 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:21 pm VV N110 used to do it for me out of a S&W Mod 29 6" barrel.
Thanks. Any idea what charge weight?
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#4 Post by waterford103 »

As always check the current data from VV as powders /loads change .
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Remember no loads allowed unless the published pressure tested source is referenced.

OP the best and safest source for such loads in your firearms is from published pressure tested sources which are freely available from powder, bullet and handloading manufacturers, retailers or the internet.

See the forum rules in red at the top of this forum. Along with the sticky on the subject on this forum.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Scrumbag

#6 Post by Scrumbag »

Thanks Dromia,

I have been looking at various data sources for RNFP data but am coming up a bit short.

Lyman publishes data for the 240gr #429667 out of a Rifle (This looks to be a RNFP or maybe a truncated cone).

It isn't gas checked and includes load data for Unique, N110 and H110 so makes me wonder.

The other thing with the Lyman data is the bullet is seated at COAL 1.645 which is a) Longer than CIP spec (1.61") and b) the Shellhouse bullets have a seating depth at rather less than that (About 1.58" as memory serves) if you want to crimp into the cannelure.

So, thoughts welcomed. Can you shoot plated bullets as fast as gas checked?

Scrummy
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Gas checks are not necessary for higher velocities.

Good fit and a soft alloy are.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#8 Post by mag41uk »

I have fired plenty of full power 44mag loads out of a couple of marlins.
200gn jacketed @ approx 2100fps. Using H110/W296 -data which is freely available from the manufacturer.
Not sure I would be trying for those velocities with a commercial cast plain lead bullet!
The thing is it starts out supersonic but at 100 yards is slowing down fast. Some electronic target might not pick them up.
The furthest I shot these was 300yds. At the Phoenix 100/200/300 GR event (marked target) and also on an MOD ETR range at Fig 11`s.
TBH after 100yds 44mag isnt that accurate. Fig 11 just about feasible with 70%hits.
And they start to hurt after 20 rounds!
Scrumbag

#9 Post by Scrumbag »

mag41uk wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:39 pm I have fired plenty of full power 44mag loads out of a couple of marlins.
200gn jacketed @ approx 2100fps. Using H110/W296 -data which is freely available from the manufacturer.
Not sure I would be trying for those velocities with a commercial cast plain lead bullet!
The thing is it starts out supersonic but at 100 yards is slowing down fast. Some electronic target might not pick them up.
The furthest I shot these was 300yds. At the Phoenix 100/200/300 GR event (marked target) and also on an MOD ETR range at Fig 11`s.
TBH after 100yds 44mag isnt that accurate. Fig 11 just about feasible with 70%hits.
And they start to hurt after 20 rounds!
Thanks @41maguk. I must admit part of me is wondering about the 240gr Prvi Partizan projectiles. Seems one could crank those out fast enough to be supersonic at 100 and they would not break the bank as would only be used a few times a year.