Cleaning Brass

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

Re: Cleaning Brass

#21 Post by Plumose »

ukrifleman wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:30 am I de-prime the cases, then place the brass in an ultrasonic cleaner with warm water and bi-carbonate of soda.

It normally takes about 20-30 mins to clean a batch of cases if they are not too heavily tarnished.

ukrifleman
Can I ask why the bicarb, as most suggestions are citric acid?
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#22 Post by ukrifleman »

Can I ask why the bicarb, as most suggestions are citric acid?

Two reasons really.
My wife suggested that baking powder which contains bicarb would work, (she was not wrong!) and second, there is always a tub of it in the cupboard!!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#23 Post by bradaz11 »

i pin tumble as the cases are clean in one hour, and vibratory cleaning seems to take hours. so it's more energy efficient in my eyes,

just don't do as simg and reload wet brass lol!
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#24 Post by bradaz11 »

Oh, and don't mix brass with different bullet diameters. I cleaned some 9mm and 45acp together and 90% were stuck inside each other wedged with pins. Took forever to sort out.
You can do things like 9mm and 38spl and 38s&w all in the same drum though as necks are the same dia
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
DavidRees
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#25 Post by DavidRees »

Mauserbill wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:57 am Hello
Seems like a bit of a faff, think I will stick to my vibratory cleaner with media, works well for me
I've been using a vibratory case cleaner for 29 years, and completely agree. Only extra (and optional) step once cleaned is to clean out the primer pockets following case depriming. I use the vibratory case cleaner before removing the old primers, to avoid the media clogging the primer flash hole and/or primer pocket in deprimed cases.
capper

#26 Post by capper »

I’ve only ever used a lyman 1200 with crushed walnut media, I add a drop of liquid car polish to the mix & they come out shiny in an hour. I’ve never used a wet clean but the results look good but the overall time taken is much more.
nic

#27 Post by nic »

i dry clean with walnut media, but mostly full length size, so use a lube, so they are not shiny anyway.... but it seems wrong not to clean them first!
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#28 Post by Airbrush »

nic wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:45 am i dry clean with walnut media, but mostly full length size, so use a lube, so they are not shiny anyway.... but it seems wrong not to clean them first!
Glad to hear you use a lube. :run:
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#29 Post by Ovenpaa »

LEM Plus Cleaner (Ours came from Kranks) with micro needles and a drop of Sea Clean 2 gives absolutely perfect results plus I can take a handful of cases out ans inspect them while the machine is running.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
nic

#30 Post by nic »

Glad to hear you use a lube. :run:
[/quote]

I worry about damaging the chamber if you go in dry................................ lol