22LR rifle choice

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: 22LR rifle choice

#21 Post by Pippin89 »

Mattnall wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:52 am
Blackstuff wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:22 am .... unless there's a dinosaur running the club ....
Unfortunately there are many clubs run by dinosaurs.
Many times I have spoken to club officials and I am regularly shocked by their blinkered view and narrow outlook when it comes to the shooting sports - youngsters, fast-firing rifles, basically anything not .22 prone target rifle is frowned upon and to be discouraged at the least, banned in many cases.
My primary club is a little like this. So I joined the committee. Since Covid we had a raft of newcomers, most of them younger, so they agreed the younger members needed a voice on the committee. Now I can help with some of the "dinosaur mindsets".
clleeyip

#22 Post by clleeyip »

Dark Skies wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:57 pm I really think you ought to consider the Ruger 10/22
at 25 yards you can tatter a V bull.
I was shooting mine yesterday at a range of 100 yards using Winchester subsonics (it's an outdoor range our club has access to and subs are required so's not to disturb nearby dog walkers.
I'm using a standard Ruger action with a TSR 100 military type sight set up. In an M1 alike stock I shot this target. The centre is 6 1/2 inches across.
At that distance I run out of adjustable elevation and have to aim at the top of target to allow for the drop (I'd sooner use cci minimags but can't as per above).
My fore sight completly blocks out the target. Yet I am pleased with the results of essentially plinking.
Imagine how much you could improve on that with a telescopic sight.
I am using the club Ruger 10/22 until I get my FAC. I honestly quite like the feel of 10/22, light, balance weight and comfortable but I got some issue with the 10/22 though, I shot left hand, the charging handle is slightly awkward for me, and I constantly having brass and unburnt powder flying to my face/neck troutslapping
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#23 Post by bradaz11 »

clleeyip wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:23 am
Dark Skies wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:57 pm I really think you ought to consider the Ruger 10/22
at 25 yards you can tatter a V bull.
I was shooting mine yesterday at a range of 100 yards using Winchester subsonics (it's an outdoor range our club has access to and subs are required so's not to disturb nearby dog walkers.
I'm using a standard Ruger action with a TSR 100 military type sight set up. In an M1 alike stock I shot this target. The centre is 6 1/2 inches across.
At that distance I run out of adjustable elevation and have to aim at the top of target to allow for the drop (I'd sooner use cci minimags but can't as per above).
My fore sight completly blocks out the target. Yet I am pleased with the results of essentially plinking.
Imagine how much you could improve on that with a telescopic sight.
I am using the club Ruger 10/22 until I get my FAC. I honestly quite like the feel of 10/22, light, balance weight and comfortable but I got some issue with the 10/22 though, I shot left hand, the charging handle is slightly awkward for me, and I constantly having brass and unburnt powder flying to my face/neck troutslapping
you can get a bolt on charging handle that makes it ambi.
as brass and powder, might change with different ammo or a different gun, or face positioning if scope is too far fwd
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

#24 Post by Itskeith »

Hi Tallguy,

How did the visit to the club go?

Any developments on which Target Rifle your thinking of?

Your a bit ahead of me as I'm interested in taking up Target Rifle also and am moving in a few weeks time. Fortunately their is a club very close by :-)

I've shot an Anschutz for only a few times 30 years ago. So I have very little practical experience and have a soft spot for the brand (so am biased).

However, as I have been 'busy' convalescing for the last few weeks, I have done a lot of reading up on Anschutz. I at least I now understand the difference between the different model numbers best suited to prone shooting. I have a good summary doc to explain the difference between the 14XX, 16XX, 18XX and 19XX series, and the XX11 Prone vs XX13 Supermatch.

If you want any more info please ask.

Look forward to hearing how you are getting along.

Cheers.
Keith