Military Rifle Choice

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

MetalMagus
Home club or Range: Oop Norf....on a need to know basis

Military Rifle Choice

#1 Post by MetalMagus »

Ok gents,
I would like some time in the near future to add a military rifle to my collection. Mainly for casual shooting at the range up to 600m, but hopefully something that would be accepted in Service rifle category competitions. So here's the rub, I don't want a Lee Enfield No.4 or SMLE. Nothing against them, but would like something a little different.

For those of you out there that shoot historic military rifles what would did you choose, and given your experience with it, would you still buy it.

Interested to know.

Thanks
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Military Rifle Choice

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

A P14 in .303.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Springfields in 30-06
M17 in 30-06
Swedish Mauser 6.5
Schmidt Rubin 7.5
There are many more to choose from MNs, Steyrs, etc. etc.

The main issue will be a quality ammunition supply Military rifles generally benefit from good hand loading, especially wide bullet choice for the 30-06 and the 6.5.

The Schmidt Rubin K31 and Swiss GP 11 ammunition are a marriage made in heaven if you can get any.

So if you aren't a reloader then ammunition supply and quality will be essential as well as the costs with prices going orbital.

Also there are the sights to consider, how are your eyes? Will you get off on open sights? Aperture sighted rifles give a decided advantage.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#4 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
I would suggest that you try a Schimdt Rubin K31 they are excellent rifles and you can fit a non smith scope mount if required.
If you do not want to use a scope, a schmidt Rubin Long rifle IR1911 not the K11 is also an excellent choice, I have both and the latter is well balance and an absolute pleasure.to shoot at distance combined with very good accuracy, also being a 30 cal there is a very varied range and variety of bullets to choose from and experiment with when working up loads and ammunition if you are reloading ?
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#5 Post by Mattnall »

Your biggest problem will come when competing - most Service Rifle practices demand on a 10 round CoF.
Some practices have [been adapted to allow] a longer pause between exposures 5 and 6 to accommodate a reload for the 5 rounders. Not all practices are so easy with out the 10 round capacity. They were designed with the Enfield in mind, after all.
However, many are now shooting foreign service rifles in the Historic SR comps and the more that do the more the CoF will be designed with them in mind.

I started out with an SMLE (No1 actually) and as Dromia hinted above, my eyesight is not as good as it once was so I have moved to the aperture sights of the No5 (the wife won't let me shoot the No4 as it's her rifle and she wants to use it :cry: ). But still an Enfield, sorry.

Good luck.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Vossie
Home club or Range: Bisley

#6 Post by Vossie »

I also wanted something a little different, I had a K98 which was wonderful but ammo prices were on the steep side, and was not reloading at the time.
Traded it for a No5 converted to 7.62, and a beautiful piece it is, again its a LE but sounds like a good choice to consider.
Ammo is 65/100.
Not shot as much as working on Martini Henry amd 1860 Henry right now.
MetalMagus

#7 Post by MetalMagus »

Thanks for all the comprehensive replies lads. Just what I was after information wise. The 10 round mag capacity has me thinking. So something to include as a filter in my search. Nothing against LE. Will probably end up with one at some point. Just fancied something different. Lots of things for me to check out.
My eyesight isn't too bad, but I haven't had much opportunity to shoot with iron sights yet so until I do I'll not know if it will be an issue.

If there are also any rifles you wouldn't touch with the proverbial 10 foot barge pole let me know.

Thanks
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

Black, plastic "tactical", pretendy guns.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#9 Post by GeeRam »

Vossie wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:53 pm I also wanted something a little different, I had a K98 which was wonderful but ammo prices were on the steep side, and was not reloading at the time.
Ironically, commercial 7.92x57 ammo (S&B or PPU) is now cheaper than commercial 303Brit from either of those makers.....

It also depends on what historical interest, if any, you have which will steer you towards a particular rifle?

The Swiss K31's are many people's choice as an excellent 'target' battle rifle, but for me they hold no interest as, well, there's not a lot of historical 'battle' use.

As mentioned, ammo will be a deciding factor if you don't re-load, as something more unusual like an Japanese Arisaka, but I'm not aware of any commercial 7.7x58 ammo for those being available in the UK, so re-loading would be a must. Back in the late 90's, a mate of mine had a rare Type 2 take-down para version of the Type 99, but sold it 20 odd years ago as he just got fed up with the hassle of making up the ammo. I only ever shot it the once.

I've got a No.4T and a No.5, as well as two K98k's. I've also previously had one of the Norwegian surrender K98k's used post war, and converted to 30-06 cal in 1953-4 by Kongsberg. The modified sights (from V-notch to U-notch) the Norwegian's did, as part of the conversion made it much easier to shoot, in terms of sight picture, but the extra oooopmh from the 30-06 made it quite unpleasant to shoot compared with original 7.97x57. I ended up part ex-ing it for an original one in 7.97x57 as that is less unpleasant on my old shoulder injury!!
MetalMagus

#10 Post by MetalMagus »

Reloading is definitely on the cards. I have a 6.5x47 Lapua and factory ammo for that isn’t cheap. I also consider reloading a go to for further refining my accuracy. Plus it’s interesting to my Engineer’s brain. I have a press, an RCBS Summit. Just purchasing reloading kit bit at a time so I can pick and choose what I end up with, rather than buy a full off the shelf kit.

Think I need to start drawing up a short list. As there have been lots of suggestions, exactly what I was after.