Mosin M38 - weird denting in cases.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Mosin M38 - weird denting in cases.

#1 Post by Dark Skies »

Anybody know why I'm getting these occasional elongated dents in my cases?

I've had this thing for yonks and mostly used steel milsurp sans issues save the usual case corrosion and cracking from the older stuff.

I shot about 250 rounds at Bisley today. Twenty of my cases ended up with these weird dents.
I'm using the lowest starting charge of H4895 with .311 bullets and PPU brass.

There were no noticeable issues feeding or extracting. But come picking them up I noticed some previously fine brass with this elongated dent.
It's very strange as the remaining 230 are fine.
Attachments
photo_2022-05-19_20-04-39.jpg
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Mosin M38 - weird denting in cases.

#2 Post by meles meles »

Try to avoid stepping on them in your high heels?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#3 Post by waterford103 »

Loads too low combined with throat wear allows the gas to escape past the neck of the case . Insufficent pressure to obturate the case . Usually the cases show signs of carbon staining upon extraction.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Dark Skies

#4 Post by Dark Skies »

waterford103 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:24 am Loads too low combined with throat wear allows the gas to escape past the neck of the case . Insufficent pressure to obturate the case . Usually the cases show signs of carbon staining upon extraction.
Ah. So stepping up the load might actually put an end to this, you reckon?

The bore is excellent shape with really strong rifling. Hopefully the throat is in similar shape. I noticed when reloading that the cases seemed a little harder to work than expected. Maybe it's a combo of quite rigid brass plus lowest load.
Dark Skies

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

Shoots pretty well for an old battle rifle. This is a 12 inch Shoot n See target shot from 200 yards with standard front iron sight and a MoJo rear peep sight. At that range the slightest movement causes the big front post to obscure the target. I was pretty chuffed for my first starting load. Think I'll get the front sight to match.
Attachments
200 yards.jpg
PeterN

#6 Post by PeterN »

I had exactly the same thing once with a factory FNM 6.5x55mm cartridge. I still have it somewhere. As above, I was told it was gas escaping past the neck to the rear before the case expanded fully. The escaped gas has nowhere to go so as pressure builds it is trapped in the chamber causing the dent. The case was all sooty also. Maybe a round with a light charge. The others in the box were OK.
Regards
Peter.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

Can’t see how that could be cause with no sooting around the neck and shoulder which I have always seen in the past. And only 20 out of 250? We’re you extracting and ejecting the cases as you should, ie working the bolt with vigour? (Pet peev of mine watching someone draw the bolt back on the back of their thumb to the remove the case with ring and middle finger in some Tom Cruise Hollywood Sniper Shooting. He did this in one of the Reacher films then four blokes down the club started doing it!!)

Anyway, if you are ejecting as you should, I reckon the cases are are swivelling around and bouncing off the back edge of the ejection port on the way out…

If you’re not doing that, I don’t have a clue…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:41 am Can’t see how that could be cause with no sooting around the neck and shoulder which I have always seen in the past. And only 20 out of 250? We’re you extracting and ejecting the cases as you should, ie working the bolt with vigour? (Pet peev of mine watching someone draw the bolt back on the back of their thumb to the remove the case with ring and middle finger in some Tom Cruise Hollywood Sniper Shooting. He did this in one of the Reacher films then four blokes down the club started doing it!!)

Anyway, if you are ejecting as you should, I reckon the cases are are swivelling around and bouncing off the back edge of the ejection port on the way out…

If you’re not doing that, I don’t have a clue…
That'd be some vigor to dent these substantial cases! These are dented as if they've been in a machine press. Given the tons of pressure the breech is exposed to I'm going with the low starter load / escaping gas blowing past explanation. Especially as the other cases could be described as slightly sooty.
It may only have happened to a small batch of cases because their tolerances were a tad on the stiffer side, I guess.
AL8

#9 Post by AL8 »

I had a similar experience with my K31, it turned out to be not pulling the bolt back with enough vigour.
The case was not clearing the rifle properly
Dark Skies

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

An update. It WAS the lower pressure blowing past the case. I reloaded the undamaged cases plus a hundred more once-fired of the same make (PPU). I upped the charge by 1.1 gr to 44.1 gr (H4895) pushing a 176 gr .311 boatail. Took them down to Bisley today and zero dented cases. Calling that fixed.