6.5 Creedmoor LE.Wilson type re loading dies.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

6.5 Creedmoor LE.Wilson type re loading dies.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

A friend of mine has been hand loading 6.5 Creedmoor with a set of Forstner full length dies. (Not sure that's the right spelling I have never used this brand of die) He has had problems with seating bullets apparently seating 139grain bullets is extremely difficult and leaves a ring on the seated bullet. He is using Virgin Lapua brass. I have had similar problems in the past but I have been able to Engineer a solution.
I told him the problem is a neck tension issue and the first thing he needs is a neck bushing die and a body die.
So I am machining him a neck sizing bushing die . I have turned quite a few LE. Wilson type neck sizing dies and seaters. I have built up quite a selection. Another fun project.
rox

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor LE.Wilson type re loading dies.

#2 Post by rox »

Alpha1 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:24 pm I told him the problem is a neck tension issue and the first thing he needs is a neck bushing die and a body die.
Why not run an expander mandrel into the neck? If he's happy with an extra step (like your solution) it's cheaper, available off the shelf, and might even be a better solution. Alternatively, a FL bushing die could keep it to a single step and is also available off the shelf. Or hone the neck of his current FL die - still a single step and no need to buy more dies.

The Gun Pimp

#3 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Spot on Rox. The last thing he needs is a bushing die - unless he is neck-turning. Unlikely. A mandrel is the way to go - just remove the expander-ball.

The spelling is Forster - personally I rate Forster as the best of the screw-in reloading dies.

The ring on the bullet is easily solved.
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Good idea I never thought of that Spud sells the mandrels and the mandrel holder. I will point him in that direction saves me faffing about.
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

I had a look at the LE Wilson expanding mandrel die and the different size mandrels. I have never used these my self but they look interesting so I ordered a few from Spuds website.
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

The die and mandrels are due to be delivered to morrow. I will have a play over the weekend. Range day Saturday so not a lot of spare time.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

The LE Wilson die and expander mandrels turned up. I am impressed nice bit of kit.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

I am liking these mandrels I have more coming to morrow. Nice bit of kit.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

The mandrels work a treat I am well impressed I have bought all of the ones relevant to the calibers I shoot.

My pal has successfully used the 6.5 Creedmoor L.E Wilson type neck die I made him and he has solved his problem it was obviously a neck tension issue.
The Forster die he was using is a shoulder bump neck bushing die.

His new regime is a Redding body die and a set of Redding Competition shell holders to resize the case and bump the shoulder. Then he uses one of my L.E Wilson type neck bushing and de priming dies. Then he uses one of my L.E Wilson type seating dies using an arbor press. And all is good apparently.