Preparation for the worst end of the year

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Asgard
Home club or Range: Valley Arms gun club, Ruthin Rifle club, 3 Stags shooting society

Preparation for the worst end of the year

#1 Post by Asgard »

Looking at the international climate,everything seem to go downhill.
I hear from people across the pond and in Europe that food shortages are appearing, each week more items are in low supply and missing.
I am probing your minds for ideas/sources of food and other prepping items for just in case.
The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.
Niccola Machiavelli
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Preparation for the worst end of the year

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

Grow your own!
10" pots from supermarkets (that used to hold cut flowers) are extrememly useful for growing food. £1 for 9 (used to be for 10)
If you want soil you can get good stuff from molehills. Add some growmore pellets and Bob's your uncle
Have a look at 'Home Grown Veg' on You Tube
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by Pete »

It's the possibility of a very loud bang followed by oblivion that concerns me.....

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#4 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Loud bang then oblivion is definitely the way I would want to go, not some long drawn out painful slipping away.
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#5 Post by glevum »

You would not hear it.

The shockwave would reach you before the soundwave.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#6 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Even better if you did not hear it coming.
Suppose there would not be enough time to get to Tesco for 5 years worth of canned goods, too wait out the nuclear winter........
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#7 Post by dodgyrog »

You forgot the numerous nuclear power stations that would be left unattended and would melt down making the Earth uninhabitable for 1000's of years.
We are in the 6th great extinction event according to some!
Cheery times eh!!!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Graham M

#8 Post by Graham M »

Blimey, that's cheered me up no end wtf
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Peter Leigh
Home club or Range: chepstow Rifle Club

#9 Post by Peter Leigh »

I remember as a kid everyone having a pamphlet through the post called 'protect and survive' and I remember reading it from cover to cover many times over. It mentioned storing canned foods as much water as you could collect before the ash fell (usually several hours) seal all windows with tape to keep the ash out. As soon as the flash occurs close your eyes(and kiss your arseee goodbye) and fall to the floor feet towards flash. best place is under stairs. Do not go outside. eat all fresh provisions first but dont ration , drink only from water within your house and close mains stoptap. ration only water. do not drink rain water. stored drinking water in cistern tanks etc should last several weeks if covered, throw waste outside house do not keep inside even if its airtight. . (It then said refer now to the' preppers guide' for food to be stored) ie dried fruit and veg, torch, transistor radio with plenty of batteries.and tune to the 'home service' for when its clear to go outside.
Am guessing most of this still applies now.?
Blackstuff

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

Ah yes Covid hasn't crushed us yet so now its food supply. I've heard that several food processing plants in the US all mysteriously burnt down at the weekend.... <nips to Tesco for some more tin foil>
DVC