Accuracy Of Vintage Rimfires ?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Rookandrabbit

Re: Accuracy Of Vintage Rimfires ?

#21 Post by Rookandrabbit »

Another vote for the Martini rifle, had an international mk11 many years ago excellent rifle very heavy to carry about but it eventually developed a problem with the trigger mechanism.
I must also give praise for the 12/15 a much lighter rifle but equally accurate, trigger may not be as light as the international but a complete joy to shoot and did I mention accurate!
drone

#22 Post by drone »

I just scrapped my bsa 12/15 never used it for years and couldn't sell it so off it went, minus all the lock parts and sights to the police for cutting up. It's nice to get at least something for nothing. Do I regret it -no I don't. Got a couple of old shotguns ready to go as well.

Meant to say, one thing I noticed was the quality in that old 12/15 was better than my daily driver ruger 10/22
MistAgain

#23 Post by MistAgain »

drone wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:14 pm I just scrapped my bsa 12/15 never used it for years and couldn't sell it so off it went, minus all the lock parts and sights to the police for cutting up. It's nice to get at least something for nothing. Do I regret it -no I don't. Got a couple of old shotguns ready to go as well.
You should never , ever give a firearm or shotgun or even an airgun to the police for disposal .
drone

#24 Post by drone »

Why not?
Graham M

#25 Post by Graham M »

Because in the past some of the more unscrupulous coppers have sold them on with fatal results.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MistAgain

#26 Post by MistAgain »

Once they have it , they can claim it was , seized from a criminal , or was used in a crime .

At the very least it can be used as a statistic to claim that their anti gun policies are working .

In the past Merseyside have used pictures of legally owned handguns that were handed in for compensation claiming that they had either been seized or were handed in during an amnesty .

Who knows , other forces may also use tactics like this , so why help them ?
drone

#27 Post by drone »

I suppose that's possible but it's off my fac now and they've refreshed the slot so I'm looking for another rimfire, in the interim I have a 10/22 but I've gone off that. Oh and I have a statement of destruction. AS I said I removed the lock firing pins and springs extractor and all the sights and metal fittings prior to getting shot of it.
Mattnall
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#28 Post by Mattnall »

lincolnjeffries wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:38 am I would really love to see a review on the accuracy of all those unwanted vintage rimfires, virtualy unsaleable and gathering dust on the shelves. Stuff like the Bsa Sportsmans, Brno Model 1's, Mauser .22's, Anschutz's, Browning SA's and all the Winchesters and Remingtons.
My old 85 year old Mauser Mm410b is a tack driver. I like plastic and stainless guns too, but is it really necessary to spend an arm and a leg on cost engineered modern rifles for sporting use, rather than an old classic for £25. Might even generate some interest in gismos like a non gunsmithing scope mounting system for the Bsa Sportsman, which is a lovely handling rifle.

I have a Model 1893 Marlin (early model 39) made in 1897. The sights are not adjustable without a file but it still can shoot better than me.
Also, I often shoot an 1870 Lebel trainer when I feel the need for some light entertainment. It can keep about 3" at 25 yards if I rest it and shoot the correct ammunition (Shorts or Longs) but the iron sights are a thing to behold and my old eyes probably don't do it much justice.

Old .22rf rifles are great to shoot and the barrels never wear out. I am just a hoarder at heart and I never want to throw anything away if it has even the smallest of uses left in it.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.