NFDS 38/357 case expander

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

NFDS 38/357 case expander

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I am still playing with my latest purchase a Lee APP Press in 38 special. I have been able to use it with out any issues to full length size 38 special on the press. Then prime the cases off the press.
I am currently trying to set it up to expand the case necks on the press.
I will then powder charge the cases then feed the cases individually and seat the bullets.
The press works fine the four tube feed thing works fine the plastic case feeder is a pain in the but. I am constantly adjusting it currently out of 50 cases processed at least 8 cases will end up spat out or jammed in the feeder.
But I am taking note and may be I can come up with a fix.But currently it takes roughly 5 minutes to resize and de prime 50 cases.

Any way I am currently working on expanding the cases to accept a lead bullet. I am a fan of the Lyman type of expander and the NOE offerings are a good alternative. I have lost my Lyman offering so I have been using a NFDS case neck expander.
The NDFS expander is similar to the Lyman only better. I have had the NDFS three die set for ever and I still like to use them. The dies are steel not carbide but they still work well.
The issue is the NDFS die threaded part is longer than your normal dies and definitely longer than the Lee dies also the expander plug is really long. So using the die on the APP press fouls the press handle and the lock ring rubs up against the guide on the back of the press.
So after some soul searching I have decided to alter the case expanding die to suit so it will fit on the APP press it means shortening the die body and shortening the threaded part of the expander and reducing the size of the lock ring.
So its penciled in for tomorrow. (Sunday but more likely to be Monday)
Alpha1

Re: NFDS 38/357 case expander

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

I have been on the NOE web site and I will be placing an order for some expander plugs and may be some moulds.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#3 Post by phaedra1106 »

I just use the cheap Lee universal case mouth expander in my two Lee Auto Breechlock Pro progressive presses. One set up for 44mag the other for 300BLK.

It comes with 2 inserts for small or large case neck diameters and for £15 it works perfectly.

I also have another one I use to slightly flare 308 or 6.5 case mouths when loading flat base cast bullets for sub-sonic loads.

Follow it up with the factory crimp die and perfectly crimped cases.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

I have the Lee expander Die but I prefer the Lyman M type expanders. I use NOE moulds custom expanders they are made to be used in the Lee expander die.
davidh195
Past Supporter

#5 Post by davidh195 »

Only needs a lathe to make a Noe expander plug, I've made a few for myself.

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

davidh195 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:26 am Only needs a lathe to make a Noe expander plug, I've made a few for myself.

David
Why didnt I think of that. lol
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Oops double post any way I took david195,s advice and turned a NOE Moulds type of expander. Job done.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

I have been looking in the brochure that comes with the press it lists the add on bits you can purchase. I noticed they do an up graded handle the handle is different from the original in that it has a wider opening. If I fitted the up graded handle I could use any make of dies including the NDFS jobbies with out fouling any thing. The replacement handle is £37.00 plus £4.00 postage. They also do a primer pocket swage kit that is just as expensive. I will probably buy a new handle not sure about the primer pocket swage all though I have several hundred .308 GGG cases that have a crimp the APP is turning into a very expensive toy. But to be fair up to now as long as it is set up properly and adjusted correctly it rattles through 38 cases at an alarming rate. To night I full length sized 60 cases in less that 10 minutes.Changed the die for a neck expanding die then neck expanded the 60 cases in less than 10 minutes I used the 4 drop tubes and the red thing on the top of the tubes that sorts the cases. It takes minutes to fill it. I then primed the cases off the press with a RCBS hand held Universal priming tool fitted with a Lee primer tray. The RCBS tray is rubbish in my opinion . So the whole session from start to finish probably took 30 minutes. I suppose once you have made the initial out lay as long as it keeps working and does what you want over the long term its no big deal. I am happy to use it for straight wall cases bottle neck I am not so sure I have tried a few in different calibers and I was able to size them but its not really designed for full length sizing it meant to be used for de capping and case prep. But we will see.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I have just worked it out there is a very good reason that the press looks like a cheap option yes if you only want to de cap cases on it but why would you spend £97.00 to de cap cases.
This is a project for me I understand that other people might baulk at the idea of buying a APP press then spending lots of money to basically prep cases.
I have done a quick calculation I have spent £369-45 to basically resize and prime 38 special and flare the cases and swage .38 cast bullets.
Don,t buy the Lee APP press spend your money Wiseley buy a single station cast press it will do everything the APP press does only slower but that cast press will last you a lifetime. But I will continue to torture it and at some stage I am convinced it will break and be confined to the scrap bin.

And at last I am tired enough to go to bed and sleep.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#10 Post by phaedra1106 »

I had the ACP and sold it as I just couldn't find a use for it that I couldn't already do on my other presses.

For de-priming or full length sizing I use the Rock Chucker with the In-Line Fabrication case ejector system, it really speeds things up :)

And I've remembered to post those cases off to you :)
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)