Pietta 1858

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Pietta 1858

#11 Post by millemigliadave »

Graham M wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:54 pm Found this.......any thoughts ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbrJ95NapjY
That does sound like what I see with mine....

I may try his mod, but will use vegetable shortening on the cylinder pin first, before taking a file to the pin to see what effect that has.

Dave
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#12 Post by bradaz11 »

is your cylinder gap ok? for it to happen that quick sounds like it might be throwing more out the cylinder than it should?

that said, I did have one of those, and did have similar problems getting the cylinder out. grease did help. although my gun would still rotate the cylinder itself, it was just stripping it that suffered.

it may also be that your hand is worn, and so slipping off the cylinder when a bit of force is applied? or have I misunderstood and if you don't help it, you are just not able to get it to carry on pulling back without helping the cylinder rotate?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Graham M

#13 Post by Graham M »

Cylinder gap is miniscule, and very little side blast; the fouling is more at the rear of the cylinder around the hammer. No spots on the cylinder pin at all as I always keep things spotless. I'm thinking of trying to file those grooves into the pin to see if it spreads the grease around it. I have checked the hand along with the bolt and it locks up very well and the timing is spot on. When the gun is clean I can simply cock the hammer with my thumb. But once it has shot a couple of shots it seems to clog up and I have to assist it with my other hand.
I may try lard and see what happens.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

stronger thumbs :run:
Graham M

#15 Post by Graham M »

Going to get my grandkids to teach me how to text. Their thumbs must be like power hammers thankssign
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Nickharvey888
Home club or Range: Gally Hill

#16 Post by Nickharvey888 »

I shot one of these and took a Bronze at the BP world championships with it. Absolutely agree about the binding on the arbor and it’s something that only seems to affect the Pietta. Neither my current repro (Hege) or the originals do it. Having said that, I only use 15 grains in the repro and 17 in the original. Fill the void with Sainsburys semolina to just less than ball diameter and press ball home so it sits just lower than cylinder face. That way, you can only get a thin ring of grease around the ball so shooting it is quite clean.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#17 Post by Sim G »

You’re using semolina and grease?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Graham M

#18 Post by Graham M »

Not me Simon; I just load a charge of powder followed by a wad and then the ball. I'm not looking for lube over the ball, just lube around the cylinder pin so that I can pull it out when I need to recharge the cylinder.
PeterN

#19 Post by PeterN »

I have a Pietta 1858 revolver. I have not had any cylinder binding with mine. I load with about 25 grains of Henry Krank fine powder, a felt wad and ball. I usually slather a bit of Wonder Lube or Blue and Grey pistol patch over the ball. I don't take the cylinder out to load, but load on the gun. After three or four cylinders full I take the cylinder out and wipe the fouling off. I do take the cylinder out before I leave the range though, as I have had trouble with the cylinder pin seizing up if left for a while after shooting.
Regards
Peter.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#20 Post by bradaz11 »

PeterN wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:27 pm I have a Pietta 1858 revolver. I have not had any cylinder binding with mine. I load with about 25 grains of Henry Krank fine powder, a felt wad and ball. I usually slather a bit of Wonder Lube or Blue and Grey pistol patch over the ball. I don't take the cylinder out to load, but load on the gun. After three or four cylinders full I take the cylinder out and wipe the fouling off. I do take the cylinder out before I leave the range though, as I have had trouble with the cylinder pin seizing up if left for a while after shooting.
Regards
Peter.
is yours stainless?