Filler recommendations for black powder cartridges

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

Filler recommendations for black powder cartridges

#1 Post by dirtbag »

Hi all, I use kapok as a filler for my black powder cartridges, and apart from varied results, every time I fire a shot it looks like I have shot a pigeon with all the fluff in the air !
I have overheard some range talk , and there was recommendation about using polenta.
I have read up on this and seen views of mixing it in with the black powder, and others putting it on top.

What are the views on this, or other types of filler please.

Thanks in advance
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Filler recommendations for black powder cartridges

#2 Post by dromia »

I am not really a fan of filler/wads and rarely use them.

Are you using the kapok as filler or a wad? Do you tamp the kapok down firmly on the powder to removed all the air and make it solid?

If not then you are using it as a wad and wads are supposed to responsible for barrel ringing.

I am quiet happy to have an air gap in my BP cartridges of up to around around 10%, it was common back in the day and if it was good enough for Greener then it is good enough for me. He used air space to control pressure/velocity.

Polenta/semolina are OK I suppose if you must use such things but tend to be pretty hygroscopic so best not to leave in loaded cartridges or use on damp days as it expands in the cartridges.

As to mixing it with BP there was a fellow called Coyote on some forum years ago who advocated doing this for Snider cartridges, he claimed that it combusted with the BP which was not my experience. That individual ripped off members on that forum and left under a cloud so not a trustworthy individual.

Remember any material added needs to be added to the weight of the bullet when considering pressure and loadings.

Which is one of the reasons why kapok due to its lightness is my filler of choice if I need such things. Grease cookies are a good way of taking up air space if you want to. However my preferred filler in most cases is more black powder.

To reduce capacity in cases like the 450/577 then I use rolled up blotting paper soaked in salt peter and poked in side the case which then expands to the case walls therefore reducing the internal capacity, it combusts with the charge.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#3 Post by dirtbag »

HI thanks for the response,
Yes to the kapok and push down on the powder, then card wad(s) on top. I leave no air gap in the case.
Based on what you advised I should stick to the kapok
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#4 Post by FredB »

Tried every filler over the last 40 years or so. Nowadays I use air. In fact, a 70 per cent BP fill or more give perfect combustion and better accuracy than any filler. The “leave no air space” myth is an example of one so called expert gun writer publishing his views, others it until it became established “fact”.
Dromia is correct: Greener advocated air space and used it in his cartridges.
Fred
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Aye Fred, the wonder of the internet.

Anyone can be an "expert" nowadays just by peddling information and opinion. Knowledge and experience are no longer considered of any value in this digital world when instant gratification is demanded without any effort, integrity or rectitude.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#6 Post by channel12 »

FredB wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:50 pm Tried every filler over the last 40 years or so. Nowadays I use air. In fact, a 70 per cent BP fill or more give perfect combustion and better accuracy than any filler. The “leave no air space” myth is an example of one so called expert gun writer publishing his views, others it until it became established “fact”.
Dromia is correct: Greener advocated air space and used it in his cartridges.
Fred
"Everybody" knows if there's an air gap between the ball and the powder the gun will explode and I see YouTube videos of shooters pounding hard on the ball to eliminate the air gap. The other well know "fact" is you have to grease on your BP revolver cylinder to prevent a chain fire.

For BP cartridge filler I've use a piece of a packing peanut which are expanded corn starch. They compress easily and tend to stay compressed and they quickly biodegradable.
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

#7 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

Are you using straight walled or bottle neck cartridges?

Polenta/semolina are not recommended for bottlenecks.
Anschutz Supermatch54, CZ452 LTH, Savage 16 FCSS 223, Ruger No1 243,
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#8 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks for the replies, is the packing peanuts like below ?

I use straight and bottleneck cases

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/8927151 ... f69ca5a5b6
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#9 Post by channel12 »

dirtbag wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:11 pm Thanks for the replies, is the packing peanuts like below ?

I use straight and bottleneck cases

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/8927151 ... f69ca5a5b6
Yes, I usually only use a half or third of one in my Snider cases, if compressed they stay compressed.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#10 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks and appreciate all the replies